Linux Home Server with XBMC PXE boot and tvheadend
Don't know if this is the correct forum, please advice if it isn't.

I currently run WMC with a WHS to store Recorded TV and media, and it works very well. WMC is in my opinion currently the best media center when it comes to recording TV and browsing/managing recorded TV.
However it doesn't work very well in a client/server environment, so when I need to have multiple Media Centers its not an optimal solution.
So I have been looking at XBMC, and testing it with MediaPortal TV server on WHS (TV4Home), it works well, however XBMC with PVR, as it is still under development, lacks a few things. Primarily the ability to schedule series (which I read is under development), and a more user friendly way to browse/manage/organise the TV programmes that have been recorded.

I also tried to test XBMC on linux with tvheadend, and read a lot of interesting things about the ability to PXE boot XBMC which would allow one to scatter cheap ION based nettops around the house without the costs of harddrives, and the hassle of managing them all individually.
I'm like to believe that I have some IT skills (been around since the ol' DOS days, so I am familiar with command prompts) but I find it too difficult to setup linux.

My question is this:
Does there exist, or where would one go to ask for, a linux distribution with the following capabilities:
- tvheadend with hdhomerun support/drivers (as it is a hassle to setup)
- XBMC with PVR setup for PXE booting
- file server with a software RAID system like FlexRAID allowing for both a single storage pool and data redundancy

It should to be preconfigured as much as possible, and the rest that needs to be configured should be configurable via a web interface, og dashboard (like on WHS).

if the above existed it would be real easy to make client/server mediacenter systems. Personally I would rather pay the price of WHS for this system than WHS, as it would be everything WMC+WHS should have been.
Sam, the creator of CrystalBuntu (XBMC running on Apple TV1), is thinking of doing something similar to what you ask for. Perhaps throw ideas after him...

http://www.stmlabs.com/2011/04/25/xbmc-s...ny-takers/

http://www.stmlabs.com/projects/xbmc-server/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Home Server with XBMC PXE boot and tvheadend0