Is my HTPC overkill?
Wowza ... why a 1200w PSU? Unless you're going to get really serious into gaming - which the GT430 is not - then I'd say you'd be fine with a 650w PSU or even less. Something like a CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX for only $80 after rebate is plenty. That would save you ~$250.

Also wondering why you chose a 256GB SDD? I only have a 80GB Intel X25M in my desktop and I have enough room for win 7, PS CS4, and lots more and I still have ~20GB of free space. You could save ~$200 by just getting a 128GB drive instead. You should have more than enough room with 128GB. If you have the money to burn then go for it, but it seems like it's not really needed.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
teaguecl Wrote:You have exited the realm of what I consider a "HTPC", this is a fairly high end desktop specification. Make sure the cabinet you're putting this thing in has lots of airflow - it's gonna be a heat generator.

+1, and i dont understand at all what your trying to achieve with your monster build...

i think your a serious heavy hardcore Gamer,,, thats the only reason i can think of....

cuz if your a casual gamer, your build is a total OverKiLL....

and i mean TOTAL!!!
digitaltomj Wrote:I have been on the fence about between micro-atx vs. atx for a while now...I deff need the thing to fit into my TV cabinet tho so a full atx tower is out of the question...however I just priced a atx in a HTPC box that happens to fit in the limited space I have:
  • [url=HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive]3 (upgradeable to 9) TB HDD[/url]($140)
  • Silent HTPC Case ($190) *hate the fact that I cant find a HTPC box for ATX MBs with USB 3.0 front ports with out it being bigger than 18" in any direction
  • Edit: Forgot the video card which I need since the MB is a Z68 and not an H ($79.99)
  • Total with shipping comes out to ($1,857)

So per price point when compared to a similarly equipped micro-atx the full atx has much more value

I wouldn't skimp on the videocard.....GT 460 minimum.
digitaltomj Wrote:I have been on the fence about between micro-atx vs. atx for a while now...I deff need the thing to fit into my TV cabinet tho so a full atx tower is out of the question...however I just priced a atx in a HTPC box that happens to fit in the limited space I have:
  • [url=HITACHI Deskstar 0S03230 3TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive]3 (upgradeable to 9) TB HDD[/url]($140)
  • Silent HTPC Case ($190) *hate the fact that I cant find a HTPC box for ATX MBs with USB 3.0 front ports with out it being bigger than 18" in any direction
  • Edit: Forgot the video card which I need since the MB is a Z68 and not an H ($79.99)
  • Total with shipping comes out to ($1,857)

So per price point when compared to a similarly equipped micro-atx the full atx has much more value

That is a 180 in terms of config. You start with a m-ITX, which is the smallest format and an 2100 CPU. Now you go all out and choose a i7 with Full ATX specs.

I just said that m-ITX might not be the best choice in terms of performance, which you obviously seek. But this is overkill in all ways. There are more choices between very small (mITX) and big tower setups. (ATX)

Like said above, the PSU, SSD are just too much. 128GB is more than enough and without dual or triple videocards, more than 600W PSU is also overkill. Remember that this all has to keep cool and in a TV cabinet airflow will be a mayor issue.
I think you probably fall into the category of what you actually want and can afford not what is actually needed to run XBMC

If you want to build a killer machine put it in a HTPC case and also use it for other stuff and XBMC then I think that's up to you decide because anything with the spec you have chosen above is going to get the same response on here its major overkill

Either way you certainly don't need a SSD of that size 60GB would probably be good for most systems

If you want to spend that sort of money on a PSU I would get a modular PSU at a lower rate, less cabling better air flow
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
First of all, there isn't such thing as future proof. I work in electronics field for more than 20 years. Before we roll out a new device, the upgrade versions are already developed at NPI department. As you explained it, it is overkill. My bedroom desktop HTPC is 1/4 of your spec, and I can do everything and playback all HD video/audio on it. If you can afford, I say go for it!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is my HTPC overkill?0