New dual core ZBox announced
This looks like a little gem, it's absolutely tiny! Only real downside I can see is no spdif port. From the photo looks like it's coax out only.
But on the upside 2x USB 3.0 Big Grin

http://en.akihabaranews.com/97066/deskto...re-mini-pc
Not sure that is the only downside (if that is even a downside at all, I never use spdif as my AV receiver takes HDMI), is the processor going to be powerful enough to play 1080p? Does it have an integrated GPU capable of offloading playback to? Interesting little device though, I guess a major deciding factor will be at what price point it emerges at.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
Lack of SPDIF is the only downside? It's a VIA chipset. Not only are VIA not supported well on XBMC, they are notoriously bad on every platform - including Windows! I would approach this thing with extreme caution.
cheers for the heads up lads, i'll pass on this one so Shocked
SPDIF=Digital out.

Valid connector are Coax and Optical (TOSLink) so saying it has o SPDIF but has coax makes no sense.

But I don't even see where you're getting coax from, the one that looks closest is the antenna for wireless.

The headphones port could have a mini-TOSlink like most of the tiny systems have.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
teaguecl Wrote:Lack of SPDIF is the only downside? It's a VIA chipset. Not only are VIA not supported well on XBMC, they are notoriously bad on every platform - including Windows! I would approach this thing with extreme caution.

+1, VIA is a PITA on every platform i`ve tried them on, Linux, Windows.
well having played with the single core Nano around the same time the original Atoms came out, I can say some certainty that Nano was the faster chip, at times by as much as about 30%. What really set it back was the price and the weak or poorly supported IGP. But then again, the old D945GCLF had useless IGP, and even the modern NM10 and GMA 3150 is effectively useless as well. The only platforms today with truly good IGP is Zacate or ION. For basic features the Chrome graphics don't really fall short of intel's IGP. The VIA alternative at least offer some level of hardware acceleration, but if it's not supported by XBMC it may as well not matter here.

I would certainly consider a dual core Nano to be a reasonable alternative to Atom or Zacate should you be using a dedicated GPU with any of the boards. Of course that's not an option with this little box, but we will see mini ITX boards with these chips. What I'd really like to see is a Nano + ION system! Put what VIA does best and what Nvidia does best together, and it'll be a well received platform!
avoid VIA at all costs!!!!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New dual core ZBox announced0