Help Me XBMC My House Please
I have been reading up a lot about XBMC, HTPCs, Servers and NAS's. I have been through many threads here, created a few with some questions and have a minor league set up at home currently. I want to take this minor league to the majors and XBMC my house.

Current Set-Up: ATV2 running XBMC. Windows 7 machine hosting all pictures, music, movies and tv. I use this Windows 7 machine like a server. It has a back-up 1TB drive attached for all my documents and pictures that are stored on it. a 1TB internal for my pictures and music that is shared out. a 2TB internal for my movies and TV that is shared out. This machine is only accessed through an RDP to manage. I also have iTunes constantly running because I do not like XBMC for music and chose to use the Airplay through the ATV2 and plan on purchasing other Airplay devices to put throughout the house and outside. I have an old Acer laptop which is also only managed through RDP to download and virus scan all media before transferring it to the windows 7 machine. My main computer I use is a Macbook and that is used for everything else.

What I Would Like: ATV2 is perfect for the Bedroom so it will be moved there. I will purchase a second for the office as well.

I would like to build a small quiet HTPC for my living room capable of full 1080p, HD audio, and enough power to run the most intense skins without lag. This is my main tv room and where I watch most of my movies so this thing needs to be pretty awesome. I would like it to work with my Harmony Remote and if possible work with Airplay since an Airplay compatible receiver is very expensive.

My current Windows 7 machine I would like to convert to a full Media Server. I was thinking WHS or possibly Windows Server 2008 (I can get a copy from work). It will only hold my TV, Movies, Music and Pictures and stream them all to any computer, HTPC, or ATV2 in the house that wants to view them. The current specs are here. Is this enough power (processing and RAM as well as Watts) for what I want to do and have enough cooling to keep the system running?

I have an old(pre 2005 probably) Dell tower I am turning into a file server/exchange server (big family) so that will definitely run WHS since it won't be able t handle Server 2008. I am also looking into a new desktop build for my office to do my photoshop, lightroom work in but that this is neither here nor there right now. the main part is XBMC and the Server for it.

I appreciate any help/advice/suggestions/change of directions you have to offer.
I run my XBMC, with zero lag, no issues with 1080p, it is also my downloading machine, extracting files etc whilst playing and my machine is lower specs then yours

however - what graphics card are you using?
I have an old radeon hd5450 in mine that supports hardware accelerated playback - meaning i can play 1080p and my cpu is at something like 4%. Oddly enough my machine uses less cpu playing back HD content then when idling on XBMC due to the hardware acceleration kicking in for HD content only lol

Also if you want superfast responsive skins, with the artwork loading nice and fast etc - it may be worth sticking in an SSD drive for Windows and XBMC.
kRAyZZed Wrote:I run my XBMC, with zero lag, no issues with 1080p, it is also my downloading machine, extracting files etc whilst playing and my machine is lower specs then yours

however - what graphics card are you using?
I have an old radeon hd5450 in mine that supports hardware accelerated playback - meaning i can play 1080p and my cpu is at something like 4%. Oddly enough my machine uses less cpu playing back HD content then when idling on XBMC due to the hardware acceleration kicking in for HD content only lol

Also if you want superfast responsive skins, with the artwork loading nice and fast etc - it may be worth sticking in an SSD drive for Windows and XBMC.

I am aware my machine can handle all of that as that is what it was originally used for. However, that is not the purpose of this post nor my plan. I am not interested in having a tower in my living room acting as an all in one machine. if you can swing it your HTPC should always be separate from your NAS/Server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help Me XBMC My House Please0