"the" items (artists, albums, songs?)
there was another discussion on sortname, brought about by tomkun iirc. search for it. the consensus was to make it hidden. you would need to open the db on your computer and fill in the field for those movies which need it. (the indy series was the example used in the thread.)

mercury was working on something that allows a user to flag a movie was "watched" which would be used to filter the display list. since db changes require a db upgrade, i was going to bundle adding this new field in with that.

a little later on, the video db windows will become a video library window like the music. there was a seperate discussion on that as well. (unlike the music database, it will likely not be a multi-tiered filtering system.)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
yes, i posted in that thread, but i didn't see your last post saying you may implement it. also, i misunderstood what you meant by hidden. in this thread i suggested using a sortname field and editting the db so when you said "hidden" and for advanced users, i thought you meant hidden in the db and for advanced db users. now, i see you mean hidden as in not displayed in xbmc and advanced as in needing to edit the db. gotcha now. sorry for the brain fart.

the "watched" tag sounds great too. that was another feature i missed coming over from meedio. i had seen the patch for it, but since i don't compile my own builds (use t3ch builds) i wasn't able to have it.

i'll have to check out the music library view (and that thread if i can find it). currently i mostly use the files there. either way, it sounds like it will only make things nicer. great job to all you devs!

sorry to have drug this off topic.
i just wanted to say that i think it would be great if sorting without "the" could be implemented in file view, even if it is in some xml file. that is fine by me.

i'll just say that the reason i don't like the library view is that unlike music i can't change the metadata on my video files. i've gone through and custom edited the id3 tags on all of my music (16,000+ tracks... that took forever :bomb: ), but i can't do this with my video files, i have to rely on the imdb (which is especially terrible for stuff like tv shows). as a result i want to sort things manually via file view (and thus organize tv shows in folders, etc), but i also want the niceites of library sorting (like leaving out the "the"). so, i guess you could say that i want to have my cake and eat it too (what the hell else is the point of cake, anyway?). Smile

anyway, i would be super fantastic happy if ignoring "the" could be implemented for file view, even if it isn't in the gui, and i think that there is enough of a contingent of other users that would agree with me to make this a desireable feature.

thanks
i agree completely with noumenon's post above. i used an older version of xbmc before the "ignoring "the"" was excluded in file view and now i really miss that function. for the same reasons noumenon gave i think it would be great if this could once again be implemented for file view (although i understand the points brought forth by kragh3d). to make it optional solves the issues for all of us and would make me (and noumenon) very happy Smile. whether it would be in the gui or xml doesn't matter.

about ignoring "a" when sorting, i personally don't think it should be ignored in the sorting, but i'm sure someone would disagree. however, being able to sort for example rocky, rocky 2 etc. in the right order would be a nice feature too. but that would just be icing on the (aforementioned) cake. Wink

i just want to stress once again that this feature is really missed! i actually signed up for the forum just to make this comment. keep up the good work with xbmc! it's appriciated!

thank you
/the duke

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"the" items (artists, albums, songs?)0