Just got it installed...
Hello,

First off, this site is spectacular! The instruction pages make getting to this stage a breeze.

I have just gotten xbmc installed but now I have a couple of new questions.

1. I run xbmc on my pc where my external hd's are that house my movie collection. Am I correct in thinking that this xbmc will run completely independent of my other copy on my pc?

2. How do I get my movies from that pc?

3. What does NitoTV do?

4. The last items I put in the ssh were on this front page: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97246 Is that the latest?

5. Does anyone have any other tips, tricks, or something they really enjoy (i.e. a skin) that you would like to pass along.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
To play the files from the external HD that's connected to your computer, you'd have to share them on your network. There are many different ways to do that, as listed here. After sharing the files you can add them as a "Source" on your AppleTV, in the Video's menu.

Different XBMC installations are independent from each other out of the box. If you'd prefer however, you can run a MySQL-server on your computer and configure both your XBMC installations to use that as their database. That way your PC and AppleTV will share the information about which videos have been watched, etc. This thread contains some more info.

NitoTV is an add-on for the AppleTV that runs independent from XBMC. It adds features that partly overlap with XBMC's features, and that's why I don't have it installed myself. AwkardTV's website will give you a more convincing plea as to why you should install NitoTV.

And yes, the latest unofficial semi-nightly build is indeed the latest unofficial semi-nightly build. Smile
Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like sharing the database may be the best way for me to go....

From browsing around here, it seems that installing Firefox and icefilms is a must. Have you played around with those - I assume there is a how to guide here.
skippyfinger Wrote:Thank you for your feedback! It sounds like sharing the database may be the best way for me to go....

From browsing around here, it seems that installing Firefox and icefilms is a must. Have you played around with those - I assume there is a how to guide here.

There's some info here on installing add-ons:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97213

Not sure if installing Firefox is worth the effort. Surfing on a TV isn't my first choice.
NitoTV is just a nice interface for installing other stuff, and possibly some utilities further down the line. There is no harm in installing it and I would actually recommend it. NitoTV by itself does not install anything that overlaps or conflicts with XBMC, but it can be used to install other things that do. I think Luke has mistaken NitoTV for ATV1 for NitoTV for ATV2 (ATV1 and ATV2 are two very different devices that do similar things)

As far as I know, there is no port of Firefox for the ATV2/iOS. The only decently working browser that I know of is the paid one offered by FireCore (firecore.com)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just got it installed...0