• 15(current)
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
richhy Wrote:This sounds like the perfect remote solution for my xbmc htpc. I have one doubt though... if I use my tv remote for the htpc (located next to my tv) won't the commands sent to the htpc also be other commands going to the TV at the same time? How does Flirc distinguish between different devices?

Seriously, did you not read the post RIGHT ABOVE?

Myself Wrote:I have XBMC mapped to my "VCR" settings on my TV Remote.

If you map it to your "TV" settings, it won't be able to tell and you will be SOL. You have to map it to something else on your TV remote.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
eskro Wrote:yeah well, if your an HArmony remote user + HP IR Receiver,
you may not need FLIRC i agree...
just set your harmony to emulate a keyboard and your done...

Is this for windows and live XBMC? I was under the impression you can only do this with windows.

never tried under Linux but im pretty sure it works too
Darkscout, actually... I have ploughed through the whole thread and by the time I got to the very end I guess I was just tired and overlooked it! In any case thanks for pointing it out! Cheers!
eskro Wrote:never tried under Linux but im pretty sure it works too

I'm pretty sure it's only Windows. I remember trying it on xbmc live and it didn't respond to setting Harmony remote to keyboard. I'm going to have to try this again when I get a chance.

Anyone have a copy of Blank's keyboard xml files that they can rehost? Blank you out there?
hope this works..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7006115/Desktop.zip
I dont think it will expire from dropbox..
I just wanted to chime in for anyone using a harmony remote with flirc.

I went through the following configs

harmony setup as MCE Keyboard with 1:1 mappings (play = p in harmony , play = p in flirc)

harmony setup as Plex with 1:1 mappings (play = play in harmony, play = play in flirc)

harmony setup as SAMSUNG LN46C650L1F with randomish mappings (whatever made the most sense, extra stuff as blue, yellow, green, red in harmony)

MCE keyboard just doesn't work. Flirc gives error codes that other users have reported. This is due to MCE keyboard using special frequencies that are difficult for flirc to differentiate. Even if you clear the config, it thinks you are assigning keys that have already been assigned.

Plex works ok, the setup is easy because the wording in the harmony setup works well for xbmc. F1 through F12 are available which is nice for the custom buttons you can setup in the LCD of the harmony. I felt like it would work, and flirc gave no complaints. BUT, the response is slow, and there is no way to scroll quickly by holding down the keys. For instance, in your movie library, if you hold the left button, it does not scroll quickly. Deal Breaker for me.

The SAMSUNG LN46C650L1F is the best option, as is mentioned on the flirc forums. It seems weird at first, because you likely already have a TV programmed, so this programs into harmony as TV 2. There are enough buttons for all the basic XBMC functions, plus you get RED, BLUE, GREEN, YELLOW. There are also some extra buttons like 'aspect' and 'zoom' that you can map for some extra keys. The only limitation here is if you want a bunch of custom buttons in your LCD, you will run out of keys. I have 4 extra buttons, and I was able to map them all. You may be able to squeeze one or 2 more depending on how many 'basic' xbmc functions you use, but that's about it. The GOOD part is that it's nice and fast in XBMC, you get fast scrolling, and it feels the best.

Just thought I would confirm what has already been said. If you are a harmony user, the SAMSUNG LN46C650L1F is definitely the best device to program your remote as before you setup flirc.
vinistois Wrote:The GOOD part is that it's nice and fast in XBMC, you get fast scrolling, and it feels the best.

Just thought I would confirm what has already been said. If you are a harmony user, the SAMSUNG LN46C650L1F is definitely the best device to program your remote as before you setup flirc.
I also set my Harmony One up as a TV in accordance with Eskro's post on the Flirc forums, however I am suffering this problem with input lag..

I picked the Panasonic TC-P65VT30 as I have a Samsung TV. It's response was very laggy to begin with, somewhere near 700-1000ms. I have reduced that to maybe 300ms through the harmony software by switching repeats to 0 in the troubleshooting menu and changing the button speed settings. I changed the sensitivity to 0 for Flirc through cmd also as suggested here and it made no difference, so I'm guessing the problem is the Harmony One and not Flirc?

It's still lagging by around 300ms so the performance is a bit slower than a normal remote, not good enough for such an expensive remote. Sad
have u tried with a Samsung device instead?
i know you have it as TV,
but just for trying...
if its still laggy like u say, then,
u need to continue tweaking your harmony some more...
eskro Wrote:have u tried with a Samsung device instead?
i know you have it as TV,
but just for trying...
if its still laggy like u say, then,
u need to continue tweaking your harmony some more...
No difference with the Samsung device selected instead unfortunatly. I've tried changing Inter-key Delay, Input Delay, Inter-Device Delay and number of repeats around with very little effect, also set the input in XBMC to MCE keyboard and changed the sensitivity of Flirc as I mentioned. Seems this is the fastest operation speed the Harmony One can handle, out of ideas to try and fix it now.

There's a thread at the Logitech forums thats been active from 2008 to present with complaints about input lag, even people with other models said they used to work fine it's just the Harmony One.
There's your answer then - its just the remote. Mine is a "telus" branded harmony 550 or something. The lag is still slightly present, but less so with the flirc setup than it has ever been.

The lag was present even when used with the hardware it originally shipped with, the telus TV box. It's the CPU in the remote - there's nothing you can do. 250ms is apparently the rock-bottom, fastest response you can expect.

I can scroll through lists predictably and stop on an item immediately. Good enough! If you click the buttons too quickly, it thinks you are holding it down, and will go into fast scroll. We are all used to it around here.

I think the ultimate remote would have a scroll wheel on it, or even better, a scroll 'ball'. So you can just roll it in the direction you want to go, and click it to select.
vinistois Wrote:There's your answer then - its just the remote. Mine is a "telus" branded harmony 550 or something. The lag is still slightly present, but less so with the flirc setup than it has ever been.

The lag was present even when used with the hardware it originally shipped with, the telus TV box. It's the CPU in the remote - there's nothing you can do. 250ms is apparently the rock-bottom, fastest response you can expect.

I can scroll through lists predictably and stop on an item immediately. Good enough! If you click the buttons too quickly, it thinks you are holding it down, and will go into fast scroll. We are all used to it around here.

I think the ultimate remote would have a scroll wheel on it, or even better, a scroll 'ball'. So you can just roll it in the direction you want to go, and click it to select.

I have exactly the same issue. I had a harmony 300i, I returned it within a few days because the lag was ridiculous. I got a harmony one, and it was immediately better. Somewhere after a few weeks, I changed a couple buttons around, and now it's dead slow again. Extremely annoying and frustrating, I haven't found a remedy yet and often wonder if the fast repeats were in my imagination.
This looks like a very interesting tool!

A couple quick questions about the Flicr;

1. Does it work with Windows XP Home 32-bit?
2. Does it work with other media applications (i.e. MediaPortal, boxee, etc)?

Thanks!
Double yes
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?1