• 13(current)
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?
bossanova808 Wrote:In the Harmony software/website just add a device ->Home Theatre PC->Microsoft->MCE Keyboard I am pretty sure is the way. It's not hard to find. That means you can then just map any harmony key to any keyboard key. Yes, you still need to program flirc too I imagine, but the idea is

Harmony -> key -> same key in flirc

It's just (potentially) a more direct and simple way to do things because the mapping is 1:1

Would be great if you can try it a I still won't have mine for a couple weeks I guess.

Hey.

I did find it in the Harmony software, and realized that I in fact had already tried the MCE Keyboard.
but.. as I recall it, I did have some issues, with some keys not working, and alot of keys where not "pre-programmed" in the software, leaving a lot of manual work..
so I ended up skipping the MCE keyboard..

I will try to set it up though, although the 1:1 mapping would be impossible for me..
if you read some of my other comments, you will notice that I have edited almost all shortcuts in XBMC, so that they are identical with MCE,
and MCE used alot of "shift+p" "shift+ctrl+o" and so on shortcuts, which is not possible to do on the logitech. (you can make an "A" shortcut.. but not with a shift or CTRL too)
so the 1:1 will be almost impossible as I see it..

but I might oversee something..?
or not getting your point..?
blank Wrote:Well.. I did read your post,
but you wrote/write that it will work again after a while.

I left my HTPC on for about 15 minutes, before trying to use it, and in that time, it still didn't work, atleast before I re-programmed the FLIRC.tv..

so I am not entirely sure that we a re seeing the same issue..

15 minutes are not enough No ... I know it's a strange thing but last time I checked and it didn't work I also gave it a second try 10 minutes later without success.... but after the movie (roughly 2 hours later) it worked.

Well I will try now to narrow the time window down every time I use the device and make a short log here, I'll keep you up to date
ecopsorn Wrote:15 minutes are not enough No ... I know it's a strange thing but last time I checked and it didn't work I also gave it a second try 10 minutes later without success.... but after the movie (roughly 2 hours later) it worked.

Well I will try now to narrow the time window down every time I use the device and make a short log here, I'll keep you up to date

@blank, this goes for you as well.

This sounds like the same 'sleep' bug described here: http://blog.flirc.tv/?p=243

A cold start would effectively cause the same issue. This plagued me for many months, but I strongly believe that this is fixed in the non-public 1.0 image:
http://downloads.flirc.tv/fw/fw_1.0.bin

Feel free to upgrade your module, as this image will be the new public release. I am working on cleaning up the GUI before pushing this out across the board. Your firmware is probably 0.9 which can be found on the bottom of the GUI.

Let me know how this goes.

-- Jason
jasonkotzin Wrote:@blank, this goes for you as well.

This sounds like the same 'sleep' bug described here: http://blog.flirc.tv/?p=243

A cold start would effectively cause the same issue. This plagued me for many months, but I strongly believe that this is fixed in the non-public 1.0 image:
http://downloads.flirc.tv/fw/fw_1.0.bin

Feel free to upgrade your module, as this image will be the new public release. I am working on cleaning up the GUI before pushing this out across the board. Your firmware is probably 0.9 which can be found on the bottom of the GUI.

Let me know how this goes.

-- Jason

Jason,

I already run 1.0..
and the sleep issue is not the issue here..
it doesn't help to plug out and plug in the FLIRC module.
and it is not everytime I start the machine, I get this issue (pls see my first thread)
but it's like it looses the firmware, as I can't even map any keys.
first when I load the bin file again, it will work.. (it has happened 3 times, the last couple of weeks, and I have been running 1.0 since you released it through your blog..)
Yes I'm running 0.9. I will upgrade to 1.0 this evening and see if it helps. Yesterday the same happened again:
1.) I cold start the zotac box with win 7
2.) I can't use the remote, it doesn't respond
3.) I start the movie with my iPhone using HippoRemtoe
4.) I watch 1.5 hour of the movie
5.) I take the remote and it works fine

Could this issue be related to the HippoRemote which is installed on my computer?
blank Wrote:Jason,

I already run 1.0..
and the sleep issue is not the issue here..
it doesn't help to plug out and plug in the FLIRC module.
and it is not everytime I start the machine, I get this issue (pls see my first thread)
but it's like it looses the firmware, as I can't even map any keys.
first when I load the bin file again, it will work.. (it has happened 3 times, the last couple of weeks, and I have been running 1.0 since you released it through your blog..)

Sorry for my delay, feel free to email me for quicker responses.

So this is resolved by manually forcing a firmware upgrade with the 1.0 release?

If that is the case, when you open the GUI, what does the GUI say when flirc is in this unresponsive mode. Does it say bootloader detected before you do the firmware upgrade?

Thanks Blank,
Jason
Just wanted to chime in and say this is a great product. This thread convinced me to order the flirc and I have not regretted it. Easy to use, easy to program and just works. Absolutely great product.
jasonkotzin Wrote:Sorry for my delay, feel free to email me for quicker responses.

So this is resolved by manually forcing a firmware upgrade with the 1.0 release?

If that is the case, when you open the GUI, what does the GUI say when flirc is in this unresponsive mode. Does it say bootloader detected before you do the firmware upgrade?

Thanks Blank,
Jason

same with me. I've upgraded to 1.0 now and it didn't change a thing about this issue. When I coldstart the computer XBMC is started (autostart). When I than minimize XBMC and check the flirc status, it says "connected" so everything seems to be fine but it's not.

I tested this now several times: As soon as I activate HippoRemote, it takes 3 seconds and my HarmonyOne also works!! How is that possible, where's the connection between those two programs? strange indeed
Hi guys, apologize for not reading through this huge thread but I do have a few basic questions I don't see answered in the first couple of pages.

1. What's the range and angle of this receiver? I have found that MANY IR receivers do not have very good range or angle of operation and you end up having to point the remote directly at the IR. I have a Harmony One that can normally operate devices from 30 feet away and at all kinds of angles so this is particularly annoying.

2. Can this application/device allow for button presses to launch/close applications like what Event Ghost can be set up to do?

3. Can it be set up to shut windows down with a key press?

Basically I am looking for something that has Event Ghost like capabilities but won't be as much work to set up.

Thanks.
Riffmaker Wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say this is a great product. This thread convinced me to order the flirc and I have not regretted it. Easy to use, easy to program and just works. Absolutely great product.

Wow, thanks so much, makes all the hard work worth it.
ecopsorn Wrote:same with me. I've upgraded to 1.0 now and it didn't change a thing about this issue. When I coldstart the computer XBMC is started (autostart). When I than minimize XBMC and check the flirc status, it says "connected" so everything seems to be fine but it's not.

I tested this now several times: As soon as I activate HippoRemote, it takes 3 seconds and my HarmonyOne also works!! How is that possible, where's the connection between those two programs? strange indeed

Are you both running hippo remote? I just set up forums on the flirc domain. Let's create a new thread there under firmware bugs. May just be a software conflict.

I was overdue for my own forums.
Hey there,

I just stumbled upon flirc some days ago and this seems to be exactly the project I've been searching for for years, so thanks for that Smile

I tried to order but saw that shipping to Germany would cost about 14$...is there anything that can be done about this? Or could you elaborate why there is such a high cost for shipping the device?

I would gladly order one but was a little set off by this...
Same here ... postage to Europe seems excessive!

Also, I have a 'stupid' Paypal account - my card is issued in one country, I live in another - and 'stupid' Paypal won't authorize my card.

So, another method for payment would be useful.
common guys, the shipping costs are perfectly fine, also to Europe!
Think about it, without Jason's device you'd had to buy a stupid remote with an IR-receiver even though you don't need a remote in the most cases since you already have your harmony or whatever.

I live in Switzerland and as another example about shipping..... when I order parts for my RC truck from a german dealer, I pay 29 Euro each time to deliver to Switzerland! Well that's ridiculous, but 14$ shipping is really acceptable.

just my opinion
How easy is it to assign presets for XBMC?

Can I assign favourites to the numeric buttons?
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
why hasn't anyone mentioned flirc?1