Alt+Tab while in fullscreen
Hello,

I just installed XBMC on my Ubuntu 10.04 HTPC. I'm using it for managing all videos except live/recorded TV (using MythTV for that).

The problem is I cannot use Alt+Tab to switch between XBMC and MythTV when XBMC is in fullscreen. I don't have this problem to switch from MythTV fullscreen to another application.

I did some search and I find that I can hit \ to switch to windowed mode and then I can do Alt+Tab, but this requires to hit 4 keys (AltGr+# Alt+Tab). It's a WAF fail!

There is a way to do a Alt+Tab in fullscreen ?

Thanks.
Write a script to start XBMC. Configure XBMC to always start in a windowed mode. In the script after you start XBMC (and either waiting in a loop until the window appears or have sufficient sleep delay), use wmctrl to toggle to full screen (look at the documentation of wmctrl on how to do this). It will look exactly like XBMC full screen mode but the keystrokes you need will not be captured by XBMC.
Perfect! Thanks.
Hi,

this has been bothering me ever since I've been using XBMC, since the capturing of alt-tab and most other system keystrokes means the whole UI is locked when XBMC crashes. I've found a simpler workaround that does the same as what's described above:

- in system -> preferences -> keyboard shortcuts, look for 'toggle fullscreen mode' (under Window Management)
- set a keyboard shortcut (e.g. alt+f)

Then with XBMC in windowed mode (toggled with \), alt+f will put XBMC in full screen but without system keyboard shortcuts captured. You can exit out of crashed XBMC with alt-tab, and I've also configured another keyboard shortcut to switch the system between a TV mode (XBMC) and an internet radio mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alt+Tab while in fullscreen0