[AppleTV1] Crystal HD MKV x264 supported?
Hi guys,

Quick question please, will the crystal HD 70012 card support x264 files?
What I mean by this is will it support the standard mkv files that use x264.
All the posts I see on here only seem to mention h264 format files.

Only need 720p support for my intended use.

Should mention that I have a 70012 in my atv1 and the x264 720p stuff doesnt run that well on internal or external usb drive but playback is still better than it is with the card 'unselected' in settings.

If I knew for sure that they just dont work with the crystal HD then saves me and others the headache of trying to get something working that just wont.

Many thanks,

Mac
Hi guys,

Well spent last couple of hours searching about this and still nothing referring to x264 but I did spot that Dharma beta 2 is better for the 70012 card.

Can someone kindly point me in the direction of how to downgrade to beta 2 as I'm currently using 10.1 installed via the launcher.

Many thanks,
Mac
mkv is a container. can contain may different type of video formats.

crystalhd can decode mpeg2, vc1 and mpeg4 part 10 (h264). It can also decode mepg4 part 2 (dvix, etc) but that has been troublesome so I think I have that turned off.
hi davilla, thanks for the info

still want to try it with dharma beta 2 just to clarify for my own peace of mind
not sure how to downgrade to it, is it just a case of replacing the xbmc.app file?
mgc_bb Wrote:hi davilla, thanks for the info

still want to try it with dharma beta 2 just to clarify for my own peace of mind
not sure how to downgrade to it, is it just a case of replacing the xbmc.app file?

yes but also remember that when you downgrade, database version are now incorrect. I would also nuke userdata.
ok, so I'm now running beta 2 and the r156 release of chd drivers

most of the x264 files I had issues with under 10.1 (the release from the launcher) now play perfectly from the atv internal drive!

will test further over the weekend and report back

many thanks,
mac
Been testing for a while now, my simple advice is dont buy the 70012 get the 70015 instead as it will give you more options.

dont get me wrong the 70012 works well enough using the beta 2 but remember it is a beta and so is not as stable compared with the 10.1 final

x264 files do run well but to get the best out of them and the apple tv it really is worth having a go with crystalbuntu even more so if you have a spare hdd to test it out on properly with a few hd movies on it, much faster ui and the x264's do play rather well Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] Crystal HD MKV x264 supported?0