• 2(current)
XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine
Accessing an SMB share with a user/password combination. Shares show up, all files are visible, nothing plays. Here's a sample of the error output.

Starting XBMC, Platform: Mac OS X (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1). Built on Jun 18 2011 (Git:20110618-eedceeb)

Code:
08:33:15 T:805257216 M: 98283520   DEBUG: CFileSMB::Open - opened TV/MyShow/MyShow.mkv, fd=-1
08:33:15 T:805257216 M: 98283520    INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://user:*pass*@10%2e0%2e0%2e13/TV/MyShow/MyShow%2emkv'
                                            unix_err:'4e' error : 'Function not implemented'
08:33:15 T:805257216 M: 98283520   ERROR: InputStream: Error opening, smb://user:*pass*@10.0.0.13/TV/MyShow/MyShow.mkv
Interesting. I was reading a thread over on the Boxee forums (they're in the same boat as us for this issue) and others had reported it was working. Another reason I get the feeling that this is a bug that will be fixed, rather than an actual change in how SMB will operate. The entire point of Apple having any SMB support is that SMB is a standard and a lot of things need SMB. A lot of programs/people will be upset if SMB isn't able to work in a normal/standard/expected way, which is why I'm not worried about it.
With Lion Gold Master SMB still doesn't work.

I can see many frustrated Apple users.
Thewolf Wrote:With Lion Gold Master SMB still doesn't work.

I can see many frustrated Apple users.
Confirmed, no go with Lion Gold.
Media player from ATV2 Black Beta 6 does work however.
I can mount a share and the media player does play mkv perfectly.
However, you don't get the pretty fan art/thumbnails.
I also made the stupid mistake up installing LionGM without thinking and now cannot connect to my SMB share. Damn the man!!!
You can buy this software http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/ not cheap but it works very will with XBMC and you'll be able to connect via UPnP.

Soon as Lion is released i can see this thread going off.
Can you not just share using FTP - presumably that is still in Lion?
Im having the same problem. All files and folders are visible but can't play any file (avi, mkv, wmv,...)

Just installed Lion GM.
This should be a sticky with a warning about upgrading to Lion.
Why would anyone not use nfs now that it's supported in the atv? The increase in speed and responsiveness with NFS is massive. Leopard and Snow Leopard support it out of the box I'm sure that hasn't changed in Lion.
Where is it cleary explained how to use nfs ? I cant find any ...
ben33400 Wrote:Where is it cleary explained how to use nfs ? I cant find any ...

Edit /etc/exports in root ie
Code:
sudo nano /etc/exports

Assuming your network is 192.168.*.*
add a line like this to /etc/exports
Code:
/folder/to/share -network 192.168.0.0 -mask 255.255.0.0

save and exit, then in the command line do
Code:
sudo nfsd enable

Check the nfs mounted correctly
Code:
showmount -e

In xbmc you'll just need to add a share like
nfs://hostname/folder/to/share

If you're not comfortable with the command line there is also a shareware app called NFS Manager from memory that also does the job quite well.
ProphetVX Wrote:Edit /etc/exports in root ie
Code:
sudo nano /etc/exports

Assuming your network is 192.168.*.*
add a line like this to /etc/exports
Code:
/folder/to/share -network 192.168.0.0 -mask 255.255.0.0

save and exit, then in the command line do
Code:
sudo nfsd enable

Check the nfs mounted correctly
Code:
showmount -e

In xbmc you'll just need to add a share like
nfs://hostname/folder/to/share

If you're not comfortable with the command line there is also a shareware app called NFS Manager from memory that also does the job quite well.

Sorry but I dont understand this. Did you write that for Mac or PC users?
Im a Mac user and can't find EXPORTS folder or file in ETC folder.

Could you do step by step instructions please?
Thanks,
Simon
SimonL Wrote:Sorry but I dont understand this. Did you write that for Mac or PC users?
Im a Mac user and can't find EXPORTS folder or file in ETC folder.

Could you do step by step instructions please?
Thanks,
Simon

It's written for mac, if you didn't understand it download NFS Manager (google it), you need to be comfortable with the terminal to do it and based on your response I'm guessing you've never even touched it as it was step by step.

exports is a text file that in all likelihood won't exist in /etc/ so you'll need to create it.
ProphetVX Wrote:and line there is also a shareware app called NFS Manager from memory that also does the job quite well.

Great software with Snow Leopard but dose not work with Lion.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine0