XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine
Ned Scott Wrote:and there's still some errors

this bit should be:
<Location /webdav>
DAV On
AllowOverride None
Options None
</Location>

I've tried it, and it seems to work good for me. Accessing my media files now from XBMC via the dav link. Much less fuss than installing samba.

Thanks for the tip
I have been doing a little research into Apple's SMB implementation and it looks like they have only implemented SMB 2.0 for sharing but allowed connecting to SMB 1.0 as well as 2.0

Based on these below Wiki pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#SMB2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(soft...nt_history

Windows has the ability to share via SMB 1.0/2.0, Apple only does 2.0. Now Samba appeasers to only now be adding full support for SMB 2.0 in there latest version 3.6.0 rc2 was released on 7 June 2011. The way I see it is the Open-Source "Samba" is having to catch up to Microsofts SMB 2.0. This has not been an issue for samba users until now as Microsoft Windows still fallback to SMB 1.0 for clients that don't yet support SMB 2.0 and OS X version prior to 10.7 used Samba itself. Apple however drew the hardline with Lion due to Samba's Licensing and built there own version with support for SMB 2.0 and only allow sharing to SMB 2.0 clients.

So it would seem we must wait until samba is out of RC and a 3.6 Stable is released, it can then be merged into XBMC and if I'm correct (Crosses Fingers) then XBMC connecting to Lion shares should be fine.

just my view and two-cents Smile open to correction Tongue
WingmanNZ Wrote:I have been doing a little research into Apple's SMB implementation and it looks like they have only implemented SMB 2.0 for sharing but allowed connecting to SMB 1.0 as well as 2.0

Based on these below Wiki pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#SMB2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(soft...nt_history

Windows has the ability to share via SMB 1.0/2.0, Apple only does 2.0. Now Samba appeasers to only now be adding full support for SMB 2.0 in there latest version 3.6.0 rc2 was released on 7 June 2011. The way I see it is the Open-Source "Samba" is having to catch up to Microsofts SMB 2.0. This has not been an issue for samba users until now as Microsoft Windows still fallback to SMB 1.0 for clients that don't yet support SMB 2.0 and OS X version prior to 10.7 used Samba itself. Apple however drew the hardline with Lion due to Samba's Licensing and built there own version with support for SMB 2.0 and only allow sharing to SMB 2.0 clients.

So it would seem we must wait until samba is out of RC and a 3.6 Stable is released, it can then be merged into XBMC and if I'm correct (Crosses Fingers) then XBMC connecting to Lion shares should be fine.

just my view and two-cents Smile open to correction Tongue

Davilla mentioned that XBMC just uses a standard samba client library, so I guess what you say is true. When Samba pushes out an update it will trickle down to XBMC. I think.
Ned Scott Wrote:Davilla mentioned that XBMC just uses a standard samba client library, so I guess what you say is true. When Samba pushes out an update it will trickle down to XBMC. I think.

I hope so. For me i see why people are blaming Lion for the issue as windows works fine (due to it still supporting SMB 1.0 as well as 2.0) and Lion dropped SMB 1.0 sharing when creating its own implementation. So as samba is basically an open-source clone of SMB (much like netatalk is of bonjour) it is just a waiting game until samba has full support for SMB 2.0 then as you say, it should trickle down into the XBMC source and then a nightly will eventually have Samba 3.6 and hopefully all will be well again.
porkbone - just to inform you ... i have deleted your post because it doesn't apply to ios/atv2. There is no possibility for ios/atv2 to mount things.

@all before posting howtos please triple check that it works with ios/atv2 and don't only make assumptions. It makes us supporters live harder when we need to troubleshoot howtos which don't apply.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine0