Apple TV2 and Synology NAS
Star 
I have successfully jailbroke ATV2 with Seas0nPass and have installed XBMC.
I am able to navigate around in XBMC but I can not stream movies from my NAS. XBMC can find my NAS and can list all of the movies stored in the movies folder but always reverts back to the Frontrow/IOS home screen instead of playing the movie.
I have already organized the movies according to the formats listed in the online manual but the results are the same.
The movie scraper is only able to find data for 2 or 3 movies and that info is incorrect for my movies.

Xbmc can find and play all photos in my photo folder on the same NAS.

My configuration is as follows: Apple TV2 iOS 4.3.3, HDTV and Synology NAS 209 running DSM 3.1.
Connection to NAS is via UpNP.

Any suggestions?
I use a Synology and it works great. I have enabled the FTP server on the nas and use that protocol to stream. Maybe you could give that a try?

Also you should upgrade xbmc to the newest nigthly build. See sticky post. Also look at the last couple of posts from kieth in that thread for location of the newest build.

Good luck.
Don't use uPNP. I have a synology and this is my advice, make sure that smb is enabled in the nas menu and then connect using that protocol, the nas wont be automatically found in sources but select the smb option and enter your synologys IP address manually, it will then find it and start scanning
I have the same configuration and use it without problems. However, I had enabled SMB (Windows) sharing on Synology.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

As the others have said dont use UPnP/DLNA add the media via SMB in XBMC.

Synology's UPnP/DLNA server is not very good or reliable.
I'm using it as SMB shares, I'm able to play 1080P BR Rips.. its buffers becoz of XBMC issues..

I added first share thru UI and rets i added directly editing the sources.xml in ATV2
Big Grin 
Thanks for all of your help. I deleted my uPnP connection and reconnected via SMB. I also updated and upgraded via SSH XBMC. So far everything works well. Thanks again
Hi all,
i'm using appletv2 (wifi connected) with xbmc and synology ds211.
This is my experience...

Using upnp:
1- I succeed in viewing entire mkv files without any "cache pause".
2- Scrapers don't work correctly...they try to find strange film name (with numbers where they aren't)...so they aren't usable.

Using ftp or smb:
1- mkv files stop playing for caching....not usable.
2- scrapers, and nfo file into the filesystem, works.

I wish to find a fix for scrapers using upnp protocol.

regards!
kubrik Wrote:Hi all,
i'm using appletv2 (wifi connected) with xbmc and synology ds211.
This is my experience...

Using upnp:
1- I succeed in viewing entire mkv files without any "cache pause".
2- Scrapers don't work correctly...they try to find strange film name (with numbers where they aren't)...so they aren't usable.

Using ftp or smb:
1- mkv files stop playing for caching....not usable.
2- scrapers, and nfo file into the filesystem, works.

I wish to find a fix for scrapers using upnp protocol.

regards!

You cant use scrapers over UPnP. Synology do not expose the file name of media in UPnP but assign a random number instead.

Current build of XBMC includes some degree of NFS support though future builds will have a more user friendly method of adding the NFS shares, [not tried it out personally].

Synology NAS can use NFS protocol which might give a speed bump and avoid the caching with SMB. Also be aware NFS does not work on Synology NAS when jumbo frames are enabled on the NAS so disable if so.

If your using the connection over wireless you might want to try wired ethernet instead.
I have a very similar issue, but slightly different.

I also have a synology ds211j, and am connecting via smb to the music, and video folder. No issues at all. Also works via UPnP with no issues either.

However when doing the same for photo folder, I get operation not permitted error through smb. I have checked and double checked username, path and password and all is ok. Also when using UPnP to reach music folder it jumps me back to apple tv default screen.

Any ideas why (how) all other smb shares are working but not music share?
Fats25 Wrote:Also when using UPnP to reach music folder it jumps me back to apple tv default screen.

Yup, same thing happened to me a few days ago. I am not using UPnP for music, but I decided to try it out and it crashes XBMC bringing me back to Frontrow.

Fats25 Wrote:Any ideas why (how) all other smb shares are working but not music share?

While I don't know how to answer that, I can say that I am using FTP on my Synology for music and it works nicely.
samukas Wrote:Yup, same thing happened to me a few days ago. I am not using UPnP for music, but I decided to try it out and it crashes XBMC bringing me back to Frontrow

It was actually a typo by me.

All my issues come from photo share only. Music and video are fine from both smb and UPnP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV2 and Synology NAS0