AppleTV boots to XBMC then blank screen
I've searched the forums but can't find anything specific to my issue.

I was away on a biz trip and received a call from my kid. The Apple TV boots to a blank screen. Nothing has been updated as far as XBMC version - not sure if the skin may have auto updated (Night). I have my ATV1 set to boot right to XBMC using multifinder. So not sure how to resolve?

Can't get anywhere as the remote clicks don't work so can't quit XBMC to get back to the ATV menu.

I can probably SSH into the ATV but not sure what I should be looking for or what to change. Hate to have to do a factory reset. My ATV had an old firmware version - not sure if te patchstick would work with that as I recall having updated it once or twice before doing the patchstick. So would need to get it back to the appropriate version for the patchstick to work?

Hoping to avoid that.

Anybody have any ideas? It's worked great for a few years now - and was running the latest version of XBMC.

Thanks
Ssh, get the log file and look at it....and/or post it...
ok, kept searching and found a post on how to SSH in and switch off Multifinder. So now I can boot to the norm ATV menu. XBMC still got stuck on a blank screen after the splash screen. So I re-downloaded 10.1 from the Downloads menu and now when I start XBMC it plays the splash screen tune and gets stuck on the splash screen. The ATV blinks when I use the remote but no response from XBMC and no remote sounds.

I poked around and found the latest LOG file - here it is: Latest Log File from ATV

I checked the Crash Reporter folder...the file in there dates back to March so does that mean XBMC isn't crashing?

I was able to edit the guisettings.xml file and changed the skin to confluence and XBMC starts up nicely. I can even change to Night again but as soon as I quit & restart XBMC - same blank screen again. I even renamed the NIGHT skin folder and reinstalled and the same issue. Doesn't look like NIGHT has changed for a few months so why this issues all of a sudden?

Not sure where to go from here...will keep searching the forums...but if anyone has any advice...please send it over

Latest Update:
--------------
I found that the skins are in a new folder on the ATV, so renamed that and then went and uninstalled and reinstalled but the renamed folder disappeared and there's a folder for the NIGHT skin back in there...timestamp is current so seems to be a "new" downloaded version...but didn't see any download progress % on the screen on the ATV - and my settings remained the same so not sure I'm doing this right.

Can anyone advise how to completely delete a skin manually (SSH) from the ATV so I can re-download? I'm thinking maybe something got corrupted?

I'm using WinSCP so pretty easy to poke around

Help?

Thx
I'm stuck. Posted the log file. Anybody have any ideas?
1. To get a proper debug log go to Settings->System->Debugging->"enable debug logging"

2. Why not just delete Night and then re-download a fresh copy via the repo, so we know we have a fresh untampered version...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
I will post a full debug log this afternoon.

I did go into the enabled Addons and uninstall Night - then go back in and reinstall. But it didn't take long and didn't see the usual "downloading %" progress...so thinking its using the previously saved version?

How can I force a new download? Assuming there's a "get" command? I don't SSH much...
Here's the debug log: XBMC debug log

I had Confluence running...so first turned on the debug log, changed skin to NIGHT, quit XBMC and started XBMC again. Assuming this log starts when I restarted. Here's the "old" log in case that's of any use: Old debug log (from last night through to quiting XBMC after changing to NIGHT

Just out of curiosity - what does one look for in this lengthy debug log to determine what's tripping up?

Thanks for the help...
Does Confluence behave in the correct manner ?
It seemed to be. I quit and restarted XBMC several times and no issues when the skin was set to Confluence.

Just found that the ATV resolution was set back to 1080p. Not sure how that happened. Trying to restart with Night but it seems to be stuck scanning/updating the library? But it's looking in:

/mnt/.../.../.../.../.../.../.../.../.../.../.../F91 Huh

None of my Video sources is pointing at the ATV folders. Unless my kid tried to add a music source? It says "Downloading Movie Information" though.

Going to let that run to see if it gets past and starts.
Didn't get past it. Edited the Music Sources to remove a reference to a music folder on the ATV. Not sure if that was added or is standard. Still freezes when starting with Night as the skin. Confluence starts.

What else can I look at? How can I refresh the skin completely?
ok, kept on searching the forums and found this post: Removing Addon Packages

Didn't realize that the downloaded skin files (as well as all other downloaded addon data) was kept on file in there. So that explains why it didn't look like it was re-downloading a new package.

Definitely think this is related to the NIGHT package - or at least what downloaded. I had initially thought this wasn't the case since the latest version of NIGHT has been available for a while - but the date/time stamp on the ZIP package file is 6/7 - right about when the issue surfaced (on first reboot several days after that).

I have older versions of NIGHT in that folder so will move all to my PC for now and re-download the latest NIGHT to see if perhaps something was corrupted. Worst case - assuming I can use a prior version?

UPDATE
-------
-renamed the XBMC folder to XBMC.old
-ran the XBMC Dharma 10.1 option form the Downloads menu
-started XBMC & downloaded NIGHT, activated it
-all works fine now..I can exit and restart XBMC w/o a hitch.

All I need to do is tweak the settings, add my sources and s/b good to go.

Wish I had known how easy that was to reinstall...beats doing the Apple factory restore and re-patch sticking. Thanks for the help along the way...it all boiled down to knowing what terms to search for in the forums ;-)
Time to time I step on that behavior with the blanc screen on XBMC start-up. Usually if you looked into the log you'd see that something in video failed to initialize. This problem appears randomly and not frequent. The best solution so far that I've found is to hard reboot the ATV. Interestingly enough that the remote does work during that blanc screen experience and you can successfully exit from XBMC using remote if you memorize the sequence of clicks and listen to the click sounds (if they are enabled). However often exiting and launching XBMC once again gets you back to the same blanc screen so the best solution still is to hard reboot ATV.
Backend: Windows 7 file share + MySql on wired 1GB
Frontend 1: ATV OSX 3.02 w/CHD 012 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 + CHD r174 on wired FE
Frontend 2: Intel Atom 330/2Gb/ATI HD4350 + Windows 7 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 with DXVA + MySql DB on wired 1GB
My issue didn't let me use the remote...no sounds, tried the "memorized" exit form XBMC - nothing. Hard reboots did nothing. Changing the skin manually in the guisettings.xml back to Confluence would let it start. The clean install worked perfectly though...something must have gotten corrupted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV boots to XBMC then blank screen1