playing 60 fps mkv on ATV2?
I'm having the same problem. XBMC official build 10.0-7 on ATV2 4.2.1. The problem started recently with this "new" 60fps 720p video.

Here's some encoding info included with a recently affected file:

Video ...........: 2687 kb/s x264
Audio ...........: 384 kb/s, 2ch AC3
Frame Size.......: 1280x720
Frame Rate.......: 59.940
Release Notes....: preset slow, crf 19
I'm having similar problems with videos recorded at 60fps. The audio is way out of sync with the video. Video looks Ok but the onscreen display shows its only playing at 22 fps. Audio starts out Ok but gets garbled as the clip plays. CPU sits at about 68%.

The files are recorded with a Hauppauge HD-PVR, and play fine on my Acer Revo 1600 box running XBMC Dharma.

Here are the specifics...

General Information:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Platform: ATV2
Version of iOS: 4.2.1.
Build version: Git:62171b3(Compiled Jun 23 2011)
Install method: nitoTV
Connection: HDMI to my 720P TV

Media Information:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
General
ID/String : 0 (0x0)
CompleteName : Z:\Being Erica-(Two Wrongs)-2011-07-04-0.tp
Format : MPEG-TS
FileSize/String : 27.4 MiB
Duration/String : 41s 475ms
OverallBitRate/String : 5529 Kbps
OverallBitRate_Maximum/String : 18.0 Mbps

Video
ID/String : 4113 (0x1011)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format_Profile : [email protected]
Format_Settings_CABAC/String : Yes
Format_Settings_RefFrames/String : 4 frame2
Format_Settings_GOP : M=4, N=32
CodecID : 27
Duration/String : 41s 592ms
BitRate_Mode/String : VBR
BitRate/String : 4868 Kbps
BitRate_Maximum/String : 20.0 Mbps
Width/String : 1280 pixel3
Height/String : 720 pixel3
DisplayAspectRatio/String : 16:9
FrameRate/String : 59.940 fps3
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bit3
ScanType/String : Progressive
Bits-(Pixel*Frame) : 0.088
StreamSize/String : 24.1 MiB (88%)
colour_primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
transfer_characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
matrix_coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
ID/String : 4352 (0x1100)
MenuID/String : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : CM (complete main)
CodecID : 129
Duration/String : 41s 568ms
BitRate_Mode/String : CBR
BitRate/String : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)/String : 2 channel2
ChannelPositions : Front: L R
SamplingRate/String : 48.0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 16 bit3
Compression_Mode/String : Lossy
Video_Delay/String : -50ms
StreamSize/String : 1.90 MiB (7%)

Debug Information:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
xbmc.log: http://pastebin.com/FW2peEXE
syslog: http://pastebin.com/mjd4qKyA
Sample file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/couhui45vt...07-04-0.tp
I have created a ticket to track this problem:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11710
Yeah, this is a bummer. I can't watch Conan or The Daily Show anymore!
sumsh Wrote:Yeah, this is a bummer. I can't watch Conan or The Daily Show anymore!

Luckily those shows are both uploaded in SD, and that works, so that is what I'm doing untill this is resolved. (really hoping it will be).
redgrandam Wrote:Luckily those shows are both uploaded in SD, and that works, so that is what I'm doing untill this is resolved. (really hoping it will be).

I can also watch them just fine on my PC. Just not on my Apple TV or iPad.
Anyone have anything new for this? Or is it just a matter or waiting it out for an update that addresses it based on the ticket posted?
Bump. Any news?
I have also been having problems playing streams directly from my HD-PVR. The video plays smooth but it does so in what almost looks like slow motion.

From the log output "Assuming NTSC or 60i..." leads to CEdl::ReadEditDecisionLists(). It seems that XBMC has some what of a hack to determine interlaced content fps:

Code:
if (int(fFrameRate * 100) == 5994) // 59.940 fps = NTSC or 60i content
  {
    fFramesPerSecond = fFrameRate / 2; // ~29.97f - division used to retain accuracy of original.
    CLog::Log(LOGDEBUG, "%s - Assuming NTSC or 60i interlaced content. Adjusted frames per second from %.3f (~59.940 fps) to %.3f",
              __FUNCTION__, fFrameRate, fFramesPerSecond);
  }

I'm guessing when this was put in there wasn't much 60p content and it was safe to assume that it was 60i content coming from some NTSC capture card. Now that 60p content is beginning to become more common this hack no longer works. I'm going to try changing the check to this:

Code:
if (iHeight == 486 && int(fFrameRate * 100) == 5994) // 59.940 fps = NTSC or 60i content
  { ...

Not sure if this is change is appropriate or if there are other clues in the stream that can differentiate 60i from 60p but this seems safe as i would assume most 60i material is at an NTSC resolution while the 60p content is not.

I'll build from source tonight and let you guys know how it goes. I haven't tried building the ATV XBMC from source before so hopefully i don't run into any issues. Seems pretty simple though.
That code is for the edit decision lists, it doesn't affect problems with stutter.
Okay i see that now. Should of seen your comment on the ticket.
I have a ton of NFL games that I captured in 720p, all are H264/MKV/60fps made with handbrake, none of them play to perfection. My WDTV Live plays them effortlessly.
I'm REALLY surprised there isn't more people with this issue. I mean, there has to be more people that watch The Daily Show, or Conan with an ATV with XBMC, and download the HD versions.... maybe not?

Those are some of the more common shows I was (am) having this issue with.
Quote:I'm REALLY surprised there isn't more people with this issue. I mean, there has to be more people that watch The Daily Show, or Conan with an ATV with XBMC, and download the HD versions.... maybe not?

Not to mention people with Hauppauge HD-PVRs. For the longest time it was the only device out there capable of recording HD off of Component.
please...can we get a fix for this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
playing 60 fps mkv on ATV2?0