Make Panel scroll by page
Guys,

I'm using a Panel container for Icons view and I was wondering if there's a way to make it scroll by one page instead of by one row? I just want to make it easier on the eyes, nothing special.

Much like what you get when using scrollbar.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Seems logical for me, let's wait for more response about it before making any changes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
Surely that would make it more work to get to to the next item?
Hitcher Wrote:Surely that would make it more work to get to to the next item?

Why? It would behave the same as now, only difference is you will see next x rows instead of just one, thus minimizing "bumpy" scrolling?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

In the screenshot if I want to select 'Dead Man's Shoes' I simply press Right and it's selected, but if the whole page moved then I'd have to then press Left 6 times to go back to it.

Do you see where I'm coming from?
Hitcher Wrote:In the screenshot if I want to select 'Dead Man's Shoes' I simply press Right and it's selected, but if the whole page moved then I'd have to then press Left 6 times to go back to it.

I see, focus would return to a last position and we would need it on next new row instead.

OTOH, current situation is a bit silly: in your screenshot one would use wall view so it can have a quick glance at several items at ones (beside it looking great, of course:-) Yet, all you are able to achieve is to present him next 3 items (1 column), forcing him to look to a somewhat "bumpy" scrolling each time.

I say let's show next page and position cursor at the beginning - i.e. your "dead Man's Shoes" should be shown in first column of a new page and cursor should be there.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Maybe panels could be made to work somewhat similar to how <movement> works in fixed lists?
You could specify the amount of items to scroll horizontally and/or vertically before the panel moves to the next n of colums or rows.

So, In Hitcher's screenshot when I'm on "Cellular" I start scrolling to the right and once I reach "Cranck" for example, the container moves up a couple of columns while keeping the selection on "Crank".

On a related note, what I would really love to see is some inertia to scrolling. So that scrolling starts slowly and as I keep the button pressed scrolling speed will increase. This would be nice for people with really large collections I think.
Hitcher Wrote:In the screenshot if I want to select 'Dead Man's Shoes' I simply press Right and it's selected, but if the whole page moved then I'd have to then press Left 6 times to go back to it.

Don't know if I understand it right but I don't think you would have to press left 6 times left to get back to the previous item? The Panel would just move an entire page instead of one column or row... if you press left, you would be back on the item in your screenshot.
I've always wanted this, I've even ask the question before...

There are many times, mostly in wall views, where I would rather have the container load the next say 20, or however many I have visible in the container, items rather than just one row of 4.

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
heh, I missunderstood initial post, but seems like there is something that could be improved Wink
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting.
Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first

My previous forum/trac nickname: grajen3
The work involved might not be too bad. You'd check in MoveLeft/Right (also handles up/down depending on orientation) whether you were at the last item, and if so would scroll a whole page instead of just one item (i.e. you'd (de/in)crement m_offset by m_itemsPerPage and (in/de)crement m_cursor by a similar amount - 1 (depending on container)). You'd have to take account of the last page size though.

Note that "inertial scrolling" is already implemented at least in part - we know if you've held down a key and speed up scrolling automatically based on that. The problem is that not all the input classes support updating the length of time of a hold (keyboard does I think?) It's the same mechanism that is used to not loop the list when you hold down DOWN.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Note that "inertial scrolling" is already implemented at least in part - we know if you've held down a key and speed up scrolling automatically based on that. The problem is that not all the input classes support updating the length of time of a hold (keyboard does I think?) It's the same mechanism that is used to not loop the list when you hold down DOWN.

About that, I've found that using a remote to simulate the arrow keys stops this working. Anyone know why?
pecinko Wrote:Guys,

I'm using a Panel container for Icons view and I was wondering if there's a way to make it scroll by one page instead of by one row? I just want to make it easier on the eyes, nothing special.

Much like what you get when using scrollbar.

This would be a really handy feature for future use in a nightly/eden Welo.

I'd like Welo's wall view to scroll left/right instead up/down, however obviously doing that at the moment means (in Welo's case) its a 2 item scroll (left/right) vs a 10 item scroll (up/down).

Cheers
Actually, the feature OP propose would be nice for skins created specifically for touch devices.
dazex Wrote:Actually, the feature OP propose would be nice for skins created specifically for touch devices.

It seams so, but it may not help that much. On touch screen you can have arrows which would move actual view by a page already and you can press any of them any moment you wish. In thumbnail views touch screen have big advantage over a remote.

When using remote, you must click your way to a scrollbar(or arrows), roll a page, then again click your way to an item you wish to focus. Since it's somewhat cumbersome, usually you end up just standing on last line and keep pressing arrow keys on a remote and that scrolls by row/column.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make Panel scroll by page0