Possible to change log file location? (roaming profile issue)
Hi all,

We're looking at rolling out XBMC across a network, and are having some difficulties with roaming profiles and launching XBMC. "CApplication:: Create failed - Check log file and that it is writable" is the error that comes up. I've had a browse on the forums and it doesn't come up with many answers.

Is it possible to change the location of the log files/other files XBMC needs when it starts up? Copying files to %appdata%\XBMC isn't an option for our users, unfortunately. Seeing as all users will be using the exact same settings etc, I was wondering if it would be possible to store the XBMC folder contained in %appdata% locally for all to use? We're using Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help Smile
Run XBMC portable (-p commandline option) from whichever folder you like.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for the quick reply Smile

So to do this, I could just copy across the XBMC folder from %appdata%, then run in portable mode? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never used portable mode before...
Run XBMC with the -p argument and it will create the folder:

C:\Program Files\XBMC\portable_data

or if you've used some other install directory the data directory will be:

<install path>\portable_data

Anyhow, once the folder has been created just copy the contents of %appdata%\xbmc into it. You should see a similar set of subdirectories in both.

JR
So with a lot of users out there that have a relatively speaking, small SSD boot drive,...does this mean that if I wanted to move the entire contents of:
c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\XBMC\*.* (32GB SSD with 5GB free)

to

e: drive (1TB drive)

I'd need to do the following:
- Run XBMC -p
- This then creates e:\XBMC\portable_data (where I oringinally installed XBMC)
- I then copy everything from c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\XBMC\*.* to e:\XBMC\portable_data
- Delete contents of c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\XBMC\*.*

Now anytime I start XBMC,..it will reference this new path on e: driveHuh? Correct?
and then would you always have to start XBMC with the -p switch from that point forward?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Possible to change log file location? (roaming profile issue)0