Win7 to Win7 share problems
Hi,

I bought a new HTPC today and istalled Windows 7 on it and also XBMC.

I have another machine which runs Windows 7 and shares folders for the network to see with videos and music etc.

I use SMB-share and not "home sharing" or whatever it's called in windows 7. I prefer to let other types of machines be able to access it aswell.

Now for the tricky part.

When I log on to windows 7 and run XBMC I cannot connect to the usual share despite giving it the username it usualy requires. I first have to initialise the share from the network outside of XBMC, example go to run and type "//comp", enter username (no password set on the other machine) and view the files in explorer. Then I can use XBMC to access them aswell. Once.

When I try to do it again, example moving out of the share back to the overview of shares it just stands there doing nothing and spits out "working". Forever. Till I log out and repeat the above.

To sum it up I log on to windows, access the share from explorer. Start XBMC, watch something, move out and want to listen to music, stop.

I can't figure out what the problem is, I don't have this problem from my laptop, from the old xbox, from the other machine (runs XP). Just this machine.

What details can I provide to make it easier to diagnose this problem?

(Also, is there something I can do about the first thing with the share remembering my credentials? It's the same username on both computers.)

I realise this all sounds a bit fuzzy but I don't know how to describe it any clearer. Thankful for all help I can get.
I've found the best way to use shares is to go to Add source then click Browse, then select Add network location (you need to scroll down to see this option). Fill in the server name, share name and username and password and click OK and XBMC should add the shared folder to the list.

JR
I fixed the problem that windows had with having to log in all the time but the freezing still occurs when trying to add a network share.

When I access the share once it works just fine but when I try to do it again, only from that computer, it stalls on "Working" till I reboot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win7 to Win7 share problems0