Difference between "Audio output device" and "Passthrough audio device" ?
What's the difference between the "Audio output device" and "Passthrough audio device" ?

Ideally I'd like PCM audio (2.0 channel) to go through HDMI (plughw:1,9) and AC3/DTS to go out the toslink/optical jack.

Is that what these two settings are for? Would I set the Audio device to HDMI and the Passthrough device to the toslink jack?
Why would you want to do that? Different speakerset? Because hdmi can do everything S/PDIF can and more.
LB06 Wrote:Why would you want to do that? Different speakerset? Because hdmi can do everything S/PDIF can and more.

most likely he has HDMI going directly to his TV, and SPDIF to his receiver
Pass through passes the bits directly. If your sink can't decode them you'll just hear static.

Unless you want movie sound to go to a different location, just use the same setting for both (depending on where you want the sound to go)
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Matt Devo Wrote:most likely he has HDMI going directly to his TV, and SPDIF to his receiver
Right. I have the HDMI going to a TV (upstairs) that doesn't have a receiver. I need that to be stereo.

I also have an A/V receiver downstairs that only supports TOSLINK cable and it does support AC3 and DTS.

So... do I set the Audio device to HDMI and Passthrough to my TOSLINK jack? Will it correctly pass 2.0 channel stereo to HDMI and 5.1 AC3/DTS to TOSLINK?
sofakng Wrote:Right. I have the HDMI going to a TV (upstairs) that doesn't have a receiver. I need that to be stereo.

I also have an A/V receiver downstairs that only supports TOSLINK cable and it does support AC3 and DTS.

So... do I set the Audio device to HDMI and Passthrough to my TOSLINK jack? Will it correctly pass 2.0 channel stereo to HDMI and 5.1 AC3/DTS to TOSLINK?
I don't think you can differentiate that easily between stereo and surround. In many cases it could work, but DD2.0 for instance will also be outputted over S/PDIF. And what do you want to do with FLAC/LPCM/AAC 5.1 for instance? Those do not 'fit' over S/PDIF (actually FLAC 16/48 and AAC probably would, but they're not within specs).

Anyway, why don't you just send everything over S/PDIF? And connect your TV to the receiver.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference between "Audio output device" and "Passthrough audio device" ?0