Best way of storing dvds?
that was actually an informative exchange.

what i think i picked up from that was that if you rip your dvd as an .img file on dvd decrypter, you can use the subtitles?

if this is the case this is good news as i am 70% deaf and need the subs.

so far i have ripped as .iso and not been able to get subs. now i think i understand why.
any feedback on the meta data? i want to add meta data to img files (cover art, catagory, year, rating, ect...)
check out the best dvd editing software available: dvd remake pro
Best CD Ripper Available (better then EAC): dbpoweramp R12 reference
(difdiffer @ mar. 11 2005,10:51 Wrote:i simply rip with dvdshrink... dont shrink ;-) but use the 100% setting.

this gets ripped to 1 big .iso file.

i play this file connecting over samba.
i have tried pretty much all the settings in dvd shrink to rip into an iso file and it always separates it into sections with one main md5 file. i have been successful in making and iso with dvd decrypter, but only if the file is less than 4.1 gb. i dont really care what program i have to use to make it work, i just want one file per dvd if at all possible.

thanks
thank you thank you thank you. the small tidbit about .img vs .iso has had me pulling my hair out all day long.

i had been using a build from last feb that was working with dvd in .iso format. (which i was using since the .ifo support seemed to be busted).

however, when rolling up to some of the later builds, my .iso images had been crapping out on me. i had seen a note about .ifo support being fixed so i decided to convert some of my .iso dvds back to .vobs. it had seemed to be working but i ended up in the same boat, could play the .vobs fine but the .ifo would result in massive stuttering. tried moving the file to the xbox drive and it worked fine, just stuttering with the .ifo over smb.

so, i went converted back to .iso and went back to the ealier version of xbmc. in the process i had noticed that the multiple audio tracks were missing. it's not that big of a deal but found it odd.

however, i stumbled across this thread and decided to give the .img a shot with the newer build. well, lo and behold everything works fine in with my images named with the .img extension (including the multiple audio tracks).

perhaps they finally removed .iso support from mplayer? whatever the case, i'm a happy man again having my files actually run. you learn something new every day :d
iso/img is the same thing.. only difference is how we till mplayer to start them. ie the differens
mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device e:\movies\bla.img

or

mplayer e:\movies\bla.iso

the second way doesn't see the image file as an image file at all, but as a huge mpeg file without any structure at all. it just searches though the file untill it finds some arbitrairy mpeg sequence and starts playing there. that mean in the dvd case that you might end up with part of menues or extras playing. in the first example mplayer will try to parse the file as a proper dvd and play title 1 in it. the point the second version is when playing vcd/svcd images, which is just that. a huge mpeg file, and can't be played the other way. plus some dvd's can be properly parsed by mplayer, (as it has very limited support for dvds) and as such can only be played in the second manner.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

if that's the case then something may be busted with the later builds and .iso formatted dvds. .iso was working in a build around feb 28th and then with the newer mplayer it stopped. however, i don't attempt to know anything to tell you why that might be the case.

.img is working fine though.

with .iso i was simply getting an access exception and then xbmc would eventually lock up.

*edit*
ok, so i come home tonight and now the .img isn't working, (can't maintain cache) lol.

although, that may have something to do with norton disk doctor saying that my movie drive is 99.4% fragmented. however, playing the .vob files directly and my cache doesn't dip below 78%.
i am running the 03-23-2005 xbmc and i rip all dvd's with dvdshrink ( no compression) to an iso file and they all play fine in xbmc. i have
had no problem so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way of storing dvds?0