Next song preloading (5 seconds before song ends) causes small freeze
When I play a few songs on my XBMC, I notice a small (a fraction of a second) freeze just 5 seconds before the song that's playing ends. I guess that has something to do with preloading the next song, but it's quite an annoying thing, since you clearly hear the music stop and then start again.

I only play FLAC audio files. Not all of them present the issue, but most do.

Any way to solve this?

Can I (for example) set preloading of the next song to false? Does this means that my HDD is too slow (5.400 rpm), and would a faster one (7.200 rpm) solve the issue?

Thanks for your help!
Im also having this problem, sometime it happens, other times everything plays fine. Super distracting though, any way to solve this yet? Im connecting a revo r3700 to a tv via hdmi, then the tv to an amp via 3.5mm-RCA cable, if that helps, Although i think its more a software issue.
I have this issue also (sometimes, not always)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

do either of you use the membuffercache=0 advanced setting (that's supposed to improve internet video http streaming)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

not that i know of, i dont stream from the internet. Pretty sure the song isnt pausing for a split second, sounds more like the sound is just dropping out. So distracting, would love to find a fix.
bump, any known fix for this?
I have the same problem. Sometimes it hangs 5 seconds before end and only when playing flacs. Any help? Is it possible to disable preloading?

Setup: XBMC 11.0, Ubuntu 11.04, and the flacs are on a NTFS formatted usb disk.
bump, any idea?
OK, I got it!

It is not a xbmc problem. The USB disk spins down after some minutes and if the song is longer than the timeout, it has to spin up at time of preloading. Then there occurs an io problem resulting in a freeze in playing the song.

The workaround is to run a loop like this
while true; do
touch /media/disk/.tempfile
sleep 15
done

I haven't tested this yet, but my suspicion is that it is due to using ntfs-3g on the drive with the music.

Are you guys using it as well? Because I noticed that it has quite a big impact on performances, unlike other FS's...

(2012-06-29, 14:59)karamba Wrote: The workaround is to run a loop like this
[...]

Karamba, while this may solve the issue, I'd like a cleaner solution...
In the end writing a file for no reason evey 15 seconds adds useless tear on the HDD, and results in a higher power consumption...
(2012-09-07, 09:27)stoppete Wrote: I haven't tested this yet, but my suspicion is that it is due to using ntfs-3g on the drive with the music.
Are you guys using it as well?

Yes!

(2012-09-07, 09:27)stoppete Wrote: In the end writing a file for no reason evey 15 seconds adds useless tear on the HDD, and results in a higher power consumption...

I agree with that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Next song preloading (5 seconds before song ends) causes small freeze0