Stuttering playback
I'm having problems with certain videos having stuttering playback yet if I browse to the file in windows explorer the file plays back perfectly.

Should mention that I'm serving up the videos from my main machine upstairs to xbmc running on a pc downstairs.

I'm not sure what information would be helpful in helping solve this issue.

It seems to be happening with avi files, 720p mkv's and 1080p mkv's.

I have played some of the 1080p files through xbmc fine in the past yet now they seem to stutter.

Any ideas on what I could do to solve this problem?
NobodyHuh
Without any details it's pretty much impossible for anyone to help you. People would need as much specs as possible, together with a debug log.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Check Settings->System->Video output->Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen

If this is on turn it off and try again. I had the same problems after testing with several skins. One of these skins had this option set on by default. After turning it off all videos plays fine again.
samurai07 Wrote:Check Settings->System->Video output->Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen

If this is on turn it off and try again. I had the same problems after testing with several skins. One of these skins had this option set on by default. After turning it off all videos plays fine again.

Excellent! This just solved my own stuttering video problem. I unchecked "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen", and my problems went away.

Thanks!
samurai07 Wrote:Check Settings->System->Video output->Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen

Thanks, tried that last night but unfortunately it didn't make a difference. Will have to generate a log file etc tonight. Oo
Lol, FINALLY got time to get round to providing more information about my problem. Here goes.
  • Running xbmc version 10.1 (one available from the download link on the main site)
  • Running on Windows 7 SP1 (32bit)
  • Running on this machine Zotac Mag Mini-pc (Intel dual Core)
  • Intel Atom Dual Core 330 1.6GHz Processor
  • 2GB RAM
Happens when I play specific videos. In the debug log I played
which stuttered there are plenty more though.

My debug log (had to upload it to dropbox as it was to big for pastebin I think)

I hope I have provided enough information now, if I haven't please tell me what additional information is required.
I can see audio errors in the log. It might be worth playing with the audio settings.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I can see audio errors in the log. It might be worth playing with the audio settings.

JR
Thanks, will give it a try when I get back from work.
Ok, seems to have been my audio settings. I had it set to HDMI which I assumed was correct as I'm connecting the PC to my TV via HDMI.

Wonder why setting it to HDMI causes the stuttering?
Both sound and video go through DirectX. There seems to be some, erm, feature of DirectX that if the sound stalls it messes up the video as well. I ran into this when I tried to run XBMC on a PC with the speakers disconnected. The symptoms were very like yours, and as soon as I reconnected the speakers XBMC worked normally. Win7 was helpfully detecting no speakers were connected and disabling the audio device.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering playback0