My new HTPC build
Actually it turns out this power supply did not die... see later post

well the CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply just up and died today while I was at work. No warning signs...
I broke out my old backup power supply* I have kept for testing/troubleshooting purposes and she fired right up.
*(larger and DOES fit in the Silverstone case though the 12v cable is too short)

So I guess it lasted about 17-18 months. I doubt I will fool with the warranty just to get a refurb of the same model sent to me. IDK.

So looks like I need a new PSU... recommendations ?

oh btw, we bought a house so the setup is much nicer than the way I have it pictured in the tiny apartment.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
(2012-11-14, 06:30)outatouch0 Wrote: So looks like I need a new PSU... recommendations ?

You can't go wrong with either of these:

SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V V2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - OEM
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
(2012-11-14, 06:30)outatouch0 Wrote: well the CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply just up and died today while I was at work. No warning signs...
Sorry to read it.....it's time to give SeaSonic a try......I installed a couple SeaSonic PSU's at work almost 4 years ago, and it's still running. The computers stay on all the time too....

SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS

(2012-11-14, 06:48)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
+1...I installed one of this in the computer I built and sold a couple months ago.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
So you wanna get a good power supply?

I was pretty much leaning towards getting the SeaSonic from escro's guide for $50 but I really didn't want to wait for delivery. I didn't want to run it with my 5 yr old Antec I keep for troubleshooting purposes because the 3.3 volt only puts out 3V. I wanted to buy it, put it in and be done with it. So I decided to get from Intrex Computers which is a local dealer here in NC (USA). Its a great store to have when you need something - especially obscure parts BestBuy etc doesn't keep in stock.
I selected the Cooler Master 450GX 450W Cooler Master ATX & EPS Power Supply, 120mm Fan, 80+ Certified, Active PFC $59.99+tax
So I get it home, put it in and the CPU fan just spins awhile, stops, spins awhile, stops.... Won't fire up and POST. Reconect my old Antec I previously mentioned - starts right up - loads windows.

I went to return it to the store and their tester says its working fine. They hooked it up to two different computers and they started right up. They offered to test my setup for me free so I then brought everything in. My 'faulty' Corsair Builders series 430w fired up one of their systems but they have found these units wont work with Intel (brand) boards - and this one wouldn't start thier system with an Intel board either. Of course now it wont start my system even though it was working just fine. They connected my old 'faulty' PS to my unit and it started just like I told them.
By now their curiosity is so peaked there are three of them huddled around my HTPC swapping out different PS's to see what will and wont start it.
So the only one that would start My HTPC was the one I took home... A cheap 350W, non-bronze 80% for $33+tax.
go figure
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My new HTPC build0