• 17(current)
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?
(2016-01-27, 16:05)danny1 Wrote: Trying to decide between UnRaid and FreeNas. Anybody have opinion as to which one is better?

1st: Do both meet your requirements? Unraid is way more versatile.
2nd: ZFS vs. unraid
3rd: budget - freenas is more demanding

ZFS is absolutely great but an unraid server can easily be upgraded in storage by just plugging in an additional disk or just swap one disk by another bigger one.

In ZFS you will need to replace all disks in you pool with bigger ones oder add another pool what means at least 2 disks. But more woul make more sense.

When Freenas is meeting your requirements and you have the money go for freenas. ZFS is great!

e.g. Start with 8 equal disks in raidZ2 (Raid6) and when you need more space add another 8 disks or replace all 8. Today with disks greater 4TB I'd always use 2 parity disks (URE).

regards
Joachim
I haven't used zfs or freenas but have been using unraid for several years.

Unraid was already a very mature and flexible server os, but in the last year alone they added a ton of new functionality like kvm, docker and cache pool. Next version will add dual parity (currently in closed beta).

Also within the last couple of years unraid/limetech as a company grew and added some top notch people who spearheaded some of the new developments.

I would highly recommend it
While I personally like unRaid and have 3 Pro Servers running at my Dads place, at home I switched to Snapraid and a Windows Server (runs on Linux too).
It's similar to unRaid, except that it is not a complete OS, just a normal Application and instead of Real-Time protection it uses Snapshots. This has both Pros and Cons but for me the Pros far outweight any Cons. The biggest gripe I had with unRaid was that it uses ReiserFS.
(2016-02-06, 11:02)falc410 Wrote: The biggest gripe I had with unRaid was that it uses ReiserFS.

That is no longer the case. The slew of new features added over the last 1-2 years include support for other file systems like xfs and butterfs. The best part is, just like hdd sizes, you can mix and match different file systems, too.

I switched all my data drives to xfs about a year ago
(2016-02-06, 16:23)aptalca Wrote:
(2016-02-06, 11:02)falc410 Wrote: The biggest gripe I had with unRaid was that it uses ReiserFS.

That is no longer the case. The slew of new features added over the last 1-2 years include support for other file systems like xfs and butterfs. The best part is, just like hdd sizes, you can mix and match different file systems, too.

I switched all my data drives to xfs about a year ago

Interesting. Had no idea.
Me neither. That's good to hear. I tested unRaid Version 5.x, apparently a lot changed with 6.x. I'm still running 5.x at my fathers place without any problems but he just leaves the boxes running 24x7. At home I need suspend S3 and Wake-on-LAN and I had issues with this as well. For some reason that seems more stable under Windows than Linux. I also like the automated Windows Client Backup, thus I have a Server 2012 R2 Essentials at home (well I got the license from the university, otherwise it would have been too expensive I guess). Still I recommend looking at snapraid as well - if for some reason you need a different distribution than slackware (unRaid).
(2016-02-08, 14:51)falc410 Wrote: At home I need suspend S3 and Wake-on-LAN and I had issues with this as well. For some reason that seems more stable under Windows than Linux.

Under windows the vendors are fixing their broken ACPI tables by drivers.

Regards
Joachim
Cheers!!!! for unRAID Big GrinWink
(2016-04-20, 06:04)Beer40oz Wrote: Cheers!!!! for unRAID Big GrinWink

+1
1: Nvidia Shield TV (2017) 16GB - 2: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 3: Beelink MinixMXIII II - 4: Beelink MinixMXIII II
NAS: unRAID 6.3 Pro • Case (NZXT H440) • MB (MBD-X7SBE with SIM1U+) • CPU (Xeon X3360) • RAM (4x2GB DDR2) • SATA (6 On MB, 8 AOC-SAT2-MV8) • PSU (EVGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2) • HDD (2 x Toshiba 3TB parity, 6 x WD Red 3TB xfs, 1 x 512GB SSD cache)  • UPS (APC BR1000G)
My solution was a bit different.
The base machine is an old Z170 board with a Pentium G3450; it manages a 12 HDD RAID6 using software raid (controller is a LSI SAS 2008 plus a 16 port SAS expander, €60 on eBay).
The MD raid is then mounted via iSCSI/RDMA (over a 10GBE twinax "crossover") on a (smaller but powerful) linux server that does filesystem management (XFS), shares and the like.

It might seem a bit overkill but it's actually cheap, it's damn expandable and it's great gym to work with linux and networking.
Network cards are an old Mellanox ConnectX-2 (they are pretty cheap, same goes for the twinax cable) and a bit more expensive Marvell (that has two connectors instead of one).
Does anyone have or know about The WILDFIRE Smart TV Box?
I'm gonna tell about my experience with Unraid:

Wanted to use it for Jellyfin, Syncthing, Pi-Hole, and so on.
So i'm a noob, but i am willing to read (a lot).
So before i ordered the trial key i read the wiki and saw the spaceinvaderone videos on youtube.

Jellyfin: the only video on how to install jellyfin on unraid was i think an indian guy. It was quick to install and it worked locally.

Then came the part to access the jellyfin remotely. No videos on it on youtube. Googled "how to access jellyfin remotely on unraid" - nothing. Spaceinvaderone had one video on letsencrypt on unraid, so i tried to follow it: well, letsencrypt is now swag. So i installed that and copied the settings from the video over to swag (there's a video explaining how to do it). Didn't work... Tried so many times that i didn't have more tries on letsencrypt certificates LOL

So asked on the swag unraid forum: "i don't have time to explain this...." was the answer. Read... Yeah! Read, but where? On the official jellyfin website nothing... Ok, docker container, docker compose... I am a noob, remember? And i am using unraid, so i expected to use the unraid gui.... Gave up.

Tried syncthing. Exactly the same thing.

So as a noob in order to use unraid i have to:

1- do a linux course
2- an unraid course
3- a docker course
4- a course about each and every app i want to install and use....

Because there are no tutorials cattered towards people with less experience. Hell, some tutorials i find online are like this:

A complex command you are supposed to enter in the terminal, right? But the things you are supposed to replace by your own values are not in bold, or in another colour. All in black, great!

The result: installed ubuntu. Had to read a ton of tutorials (they exist! A ton of them for ubuntu!!!!), had a lot to mess around im the terminal... But everything is working great.

Really disappointes by unraid and it's (lack of) support
(2020-10-23, 15:44)MMeirolas1 Wrote: So asked on the swag unraid forum: "i don't have time to explain this...." was the answer. Read... Yeah! Read, but where?

You had several replies helping you before that response, and it was in relation to you not understanding DNS verification (which could go into a lot of details not really related to your issues). But yes, like you said there's a lot of documentation out there for Ubuntu vs Unraid, so for beginners of Linux it's probably a lot easier for you to use Ubuntu or some other OS like CentOS.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2020-10-24, 14:40)timstephens24 Wrote:
(2020-10-23, 15:44)MMeirolas1 Wrote: So asked on the swag unraid forum: "i don't have time to explain this...." was the answer. Read... Yeah! Read, but where?

You had several replies helping you before that response, and it was in relation to you not understanding DNS verification (which could go into a lot of details not really related to your issues). But yes, like you said there's a lot of documentation out there for Ubuntu vs Unraid, so for beginners of Linux it's probably a lot easier for you to use Ubuntu or some other OS like CentOS.

I thought the whole point with unraid was to make it easy for noobs with a GUI. I’m a noob and been using it for years. Most of the stuff I need just works. But yeah everything has a learning curve ... even a GUI based interface.
(2021-03-29, 07:02)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2020-10-24, 14:40)timstephens24 Wrote:

I thought the whole point with unraid was to make it easy for noobs with a GUI. I’m a noob and been using it for years. Most of the stuff I need just works. But yeah everything has a learning curve ... even a GUI based interface.

May be that is the purpose (making it easier), but like with everything new you use, there are going to be hiccups. Not everything works always as it should, which is valid for Unraid, Linux or Windows.

That is where the support forum comes into play, especially once you watched every video you can watch on Youtube, and read every tutorial you can find (which in case of Unraid the amount compared to Ubuntu is like 1 to 10000000...).

Fact is: after exausting every source i found on the www, i asked a question, which in my case if i remember right the answer would be like "flip this switch instead of this", or "write this instead of this". A one line answer... And i was told first in plain Chinese (for a Unraid Noob), and second in other words "do a Networking course on udemy).

A totally different experience than i got in forums of software that is free to use and depends on donations like this one, the jellyfin or the caddy.

But hey, all is good: i kept my 60$ and am happy with ubuntu Smile
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?18