Looking to Build Your Very First unRAID Server?

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.07 Average
CaptainPsycho Offline
(2016-01-27 16:05)danny1 Wrote:  Trying to decide between UnRaid and FreeNas. Anybody have opinion as to which one is better?

1st: Do both meet your requirements? Unraid is way more versatile.
2nd: ZFS vs. unraid
3rd: budget - freenas is more demanding

ZFS is absolutely great but an unraid server can easily be upgraded in storage by just plugging in an additional disk or just swap one disk by another bigger one.

In ZFS you will need to replace all disks in you pool with bigger ones oder add another pool what means at least 2 disks. But more woul make more sense.

When Freenas is meeting your requirements and you have the money go for freenas. ZFS is great!

e.g. Start with 8 equal disks in raidZ2 (Raid6) and when you need more space add another 8 disks or replace all 8. Today with disks greater 4TB I'd always use 2 parity disks (URE).

regards
Joachim
find quote
aptalca Online
The Dude
I haven't used zfs or freenas but have been using unraid for several years.

Unraid was already a very mature and flexible server os, but in the last year alone they added a ton of new functionality like kvm, docker and cache pool. Next version will add dual parity (currently in closed beta).

Also within the last couple of years unraid/limetech as a company grew and added some top notch people who spearheaded some of the new developments.

I would highly recommend it
find quote
falc410 Offline
While I personally like unRaid and have 3 Pro Servers running at my Dads place, at home I switched to Snapraid and a Windows Server (runs on Linux too).
It's similar to unRaid, except that it is not a complete OS, just a normal Application and instead of Real-Time protection it uses Snapshots. This has both Pros and Cons but for me the Pros far outweight any Cons. The biggest gripe I had with unRaid was that it uses ReiserFS.
find quote
aptalca Online
The Dude
(2016-02-06 11:02)falc410 Wrote:  The biggest gripe I had with unRaid was that it uses ReiserFS.

That is no longer the case. The slew of new features added over the last 1-2 years include support for other file systems like xfs and butterfs. The best part is, just like hdd sizes, you can mix and match different file systems, too.

I switched all my data drives to xfs about a year ago
find quote
crashnburn Offline
(2016-02-06 16:23)aptalca Wrote:  
(2016-02-06 11:02)falc410 Wrote:  The biggest gripe I had with unRaid was that it uses ReiserFS.

That is no longer the case. The slew of new features added over the last 1-2 years include support for other file systems like xfs and butterfs. The best part is, just like hdd sizes, you can mix and match different file systems, too.

I switched all my data drives to xfs about a year ago

Interesting. Had no idea.
find quote
falc410 Offline
Me neither. That's good to hear. I tested unRaid Version 5.x, apparently a lot changed with 6.x. I'm still running 5.x at my fathers place without any problems but he just leaves the boxes running 24x7. At home I need suspend S3 and Wake-on-LAN and I had issues with this as well. For some reason that seems more stable under Windows than Linux. I also like the automated Windows Client Backup, thus I have a Server 2012 R2 Essentials at home (well I got the license from the university, otherwise it would have been too expensive I guess). Still I recommend looking at snapraid as well - if for some reason you need a different distribution than slackware (unRaid).
find quote
CaptainPsycho Offline
(2016-02-08 14:51)falc410 Wrote:  At home I need suspend S3 and Wake-on-LAN and I had issues with this as well. For some reason that seems more stable under Windows than Linux.

Under windows the vendors are fixing their broken ACPI tables by drivers.

Regards
Joachim
find quote
Beer40oz Offline
Donor
Cheers!!!! for unRAID Big GrinWink
find quote
Msan Offline
Fan
(2016-04-20 06:04)Beer40oz Wrote:  Cheers!!!! for unRAID Big GrinWink

+1

1: Silverstone LC03B-V Case with VFD, ASUS M2NPV-VM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+, NVidia GT220 (1GB), 2GB DDR2-800
2: ASRock ION 330
NAS: unRAID 6 • Case (Norco RPC-4220) • MB (MBD-X7SBE with SIM1U+) • CPU (Core2 Duo E2160) • RAM (2x1GB DDR2) • SATA (6 On MB, 16 on 2 AOC-SAT2-MV8's) • PSU (PCP&C 610W) • HDD (10x1TB (various)
find quote