VNC Friendly Skin
XBMC on Apple TV Gen 1 is wonderful! Because the ATV is connected to the projector, I recently enable Remote Managment. I don't want to turn on the projector when I want to listen to music. Remote management lets me see what would be displayed on the projector through VNC on my PC.

What is displayed on VNC is far from perfect and I think this has to do with the Skin that exhibits motion while playing music. Is there a Skin that minimally graphics intensive \ VNC friendly?

I am hoping that someone with experience will weigh in here. Thank you.
gatorback Wrote:XBMC on Apple TV Gen 1 is wonderful! Because the ATV is connected to the projector, I recently enable Remote Managment. I don't want to turn on the projector when I want to listen to music. Remote management lets me see what would be displayed on the projector through VNC on my PC.

What is displayed on VNC is far from perfect and I think this has to do with the Skin that exhibits motion while playing music. Is there a Skin that minimally graphics intensive \ VNC friendly?

I am hoping that someone with experience will weigh in here. Thank you.

Just kind of try them out and see. Quartz and Simplicity come to mind, but I can't recall them all.

However, you might want to try some of the web interfaces or remote apps for smartphones/PDAs. They will normally give you the same information/navigation, allowing you to browse to music, start and stop things, etc.
Ned Scott Wrote:However, you might want to try some of the web interfaces or remote apps for smartphones/PDAs. They will normally give you the same information/navigation, allowing you to browse to music, start and stop things, etc.

I'd second the recommendation for using a remote app. I use XBMC Commander for iPhone, which is great for browsing music and queuing-up songs (also works for iPod touch, and there's an iPad version available too). From what I hear the Android remote app is excellent too.

In my experience the web interfaces are a bit sluggish and temperamental. If you've got the option of using an app I'd definitely recommend it

EDIT: I used to use this web interface (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51596). It's not exactly visually stunning, but it actually worked pretty well for just setting up playlists and stuff. I've not tried it in quite a long time though so I'm not sure how well it runs on current versions of XBMC.

Sorry I can't offer any help on the VNC front. I think that a remote app, or resource-light web interface is probably a better way of headlessly controlling XBMC though

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VNC Friendly Skin0