Add video folder on Mac external hard drive
Stupid question. I cannot remember how to add folders of video files from an external hard drive on my iMac so that XBMC can see them, and I can't seem to find any instructions. I did this several months ago when I first got my Apple TV 2G. However, I just updated to the newest iOS (4.3 Build 8F305) with the Seas0nPass jailbreak, then installed NitoTV, then installed XBMC 10.0-9 using NitoTV. So, the links to my video folders need to be redone.

The computer is called iMac (running Mac OS X 10.6.8)
The external hard drive is called Media
I have set up SMB file sharing on the iMac, including the external "Media" drive. In fact, it was all working just yesterday before the updates, and I have not changed anything on the iMac.

I have gone to Videos > Add Videos and have tried many combinations under smb, zeroconf, and add network share.

smb://iMac
smb://iMac.local
smb://iMac.local/Media
smb://192.168.x.x/Media
etc.

I have tried entering a username and password under the Add Network Share.

I keep getting "could not connect" and other errors.

Under zeroconf, I see "iMac (SAMBA)", but I have no idea what to do from there. The select button does nothing.

Are there some simple step-by-step instructions somewhere to get this to work?
Scratch that.

Do you have access to another computer that uses SMB to see what it sees? I'd double check sharing set up just for kicks on the Mac too.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
I didn't do any installations on the Mac--only on the Apple TV 2G (and I used a Windows laptop to do it).
Can the Windows computer find your SMB share?
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
seand Wrote:Can the Windows computer find your SMB share?

It can't see it or browse to it in Network Places on the PC, but I can manually access it by typing in the address, and then typing in my username and password.

It appears that I can get XBMC on the Apple TV 2G to see it with the following:
smb://username:password@iMac.local/Media

It just never worked when I added my username and password separately in the username and password fields. Perhaps that is how I ended up getting it to work before. I am still very confused, and the whole process is not very user-friendly.

Oh, and during my experimentation, I accidentally added a mutated version of an smb address to the "browse" list (along with Zeroconf, HDHomerun, etc.). Does anybody know how to delete that entry? I have tried holding the "Menu" button down with it selected, but nothing happens.
ATV2 with Eden installed recognizes my external drive via my Apple extreme. I can set up smb. In zeroconfig it recognizes the external as AFP, but won't set up. Smb sets up, accepts name etc., but when I go to open it, nothing. Both also recognize my IMac and would allow a set up if I wanted it. Suggestions?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add video folder on Mac external hard drive0