• 2(current)
XBMC Live install?
roden Wrote:I cant find anything on the partitioner, only guides like this http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/xbmc-ion/module/4 but none of these options in the menu come up, and none of the guides mention anything but a full install.

Think ill scrap the idea completely, it seemed good at the time, but way way to much hassle, i just dont have the time for this and getting help is like pulling teeth.

here read this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot principle is EXACT same.

Edit TIP: the partitions that you dont want to use can be set to NOT use this PARTITION namely the windows ones. grub is installed to main hdd root typically /dev/sda

if that doesn't help you, perhaps some anaesthetic, or nitrous oxide it will help with both pain and sense of humour...

Sorry about the comment but your post, just yanked the sarcastic out of me...

I do apologize sincerely if it offends you, its not maliciously meant.
LOL dont worry i do have a sense of humour, but just barely any time, im oncall so working almost always, and have a 2 week old baby here, so sitting here reading pages and pages of crap is kinda doing my head in, thought i would be up and running by now.

Cheers for the tip ill give it a go once i have cleaned the baby sick of the desk.

Smile
hell I understand sleep deprivation better than anyone on these forums.

Perhaps someone made a video on youtube otherwise even if I typed it to death you still be reading it.
meh still confused lol
take a break.... Im off its been now 32 hours since I slept 2 hours or less on top of 68+ straight without sleep, total hours sleep this week idk.
Take a break from what, im not even at the first step Smile
Im on last legs... I need sleep nite nite.
sleep well Smile
BAh, so much for that my friend, I been tossing around for hours, and finally got up. 4.34am to see if you finally wrapped you head around the linux installer.

For this job its the manual option road auto will not do.
roden Wrote:I know how to partiton the drive, but how do i go through the installer and get it to install that way??

Can you edit the 'install' command line? If so add 'priority=low' to the end. You'll get asked a ton more questions but you should have more control over the process.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I did suss out how to edit the loader, but i dont know sweet fa about linux, so most of the time im just stabbing buttons.

Now i have managed to install ok, i just created a blank unformatted space 500gb, ran the installer an selected free space, so its booting to XBMC fine with the loader menu and what not, it created a 173gb partiton, dunno why, but that suits me as i have some free for working with the pc, so that will do, guess i can always resize in the future.

Now its done that stupid thing of setting up my ip address by dhcp again, i like it fixed 192.168.0.11 on the laptop, so i need to edit that.

So things i now need to do

1: Edit IP address, although it will probally be easier to re-install i suspect lol
2: Install the ATI graphics thingy so i can use scaling to get rid of the border
3: Not sure if my laptop display still stays on, it didnt in windows but will have to set it all up to see.

I think at the moment thats it, so ill start with the ip address.....
yey

the screen is prollly supports DPMS which is powersaving and can be configured via xbmc GUI and or /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The static IP is easy

drivers is a pita for ATI since you need both drivers and the LIBVA for hw acceleration theres some help here

I think tht covers all bases...
God in heavens why is everything so complicated, i want to do one thing, and then have to read 3 pages of crap and im still none the wiser, maybe i should stick with windows Smile, i was thinking, is there not a pre compiled version with drivers included?.
3 things 3 pages

Quote:1: Edit IP address, although it will probally be easier to re-install i suspect lol
2: Install the ATI graphics thingy so i can use scaling to get rid of the border
3: Not sure if my laptop display still stays on, it didnt in windows but will have to set it all up to see.

hehe
Sad 
Thing is when I start reading it makes no sense to me at all , I have no idea what they are talking about Sad
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live install?0