• 1(current)
XBMC Live install?
Hi all, i am wanting to run XBMC from a 16GB Firefly flash drive from my laptop using the Live CD, my normal install is doing my head in with the screen vanishing after sleeping.

I am totally confused though about how to install it, i get a screen full of options and anything i choose results in a hung pc?
look at the sticky topics http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89848
Ok ignore, i finally after lots of trials have it booting from my flash drive Smile)

Just one issue, its set up my network by dhcp, wich i dont want, how can i manually change the IP address withough having to re-install? and how do i get my graphics drivers installed as i have no HDMI output>
Star 
the ip address to static? if so it has to be correct one you assign static ip addresses on lInux

Driver I prsume when you load up your xbmc from usb do ctrl+alt+f1 ctrl+alt+f2 to drop to console. If your on 10.04 see my signature it has the latest possible drivers on. (if its nvidia)

Or do a manual nvidia driver install grab the driver from terminal

for 32 bit
Code:
cd /usr/src
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/275.09.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
sudo stop xbmc-live
sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
or
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-275.09.07.run
for 64 bit - same as above only link is
Code:
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/275.09.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-275.09.07-no-compat32.run
Follow prompts on installer, once they finish must restart xbmc-live
Code:
sudo start xbmc-live
If its other drivers I haven't a clew.

atm 275 drivers cannot be packaged into ppa due to bug in packaging.

cheers

Edit// 275.09.07 have been packaged ok in Lucid and karmic PPA on my signature as well as the latest available VDPAU 0.4.1 version.

Where possible use ppas instead of manual drivers installs.
if ATI:
Code:
sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle fglrx-dev
sudo aticonfig --initial
Ok well i have several issues that may force me back to a windows install Sad

1: I have the black border around the screen again, but no with no scaling options to correct it.

2: I cant now turn of the laptop screen so its stuck in 1600 res and not 1920 of the tv??

3: when i play a video, its caching it to the usb key, so is so slow it will not play.

What am i doing wrong, didnt think this would be so hard Sad
did yo install correct vdeo drvers?
which GFX card do you have?

on ati, you must run sudo amdccle to correct resolution and overscan.
also as written above, aticonfig --inital or with dual screen setup:
aticonfig --initial=dual-head
also you MUST install libvdau-dev and libvdapu1 if on nvidia...

If you keep changing the usb key from laptop to another machine the xorg.conf probably not getting updated to reflect the resolution changes and will account for the displaying problems...

I never ran from usb key but if I did it would be a usb key for each machine so I could configure and tweak everything to work properly on each machine, as very rarely will it work out of the box.

perseverance is what will win the day, but your free to do whatever you want.
Well i only used a usb key as i cant figure out how to install to a partiton, i have windows on one partition, and a 500gb spare for xbmc, but i can only install if i select entire disk, or it gets confusing. If i select the partiton it then comes up with tons of options and i dont have a clue.

What i would really like is for xbmc to be setup on the 500gb second partiton, so i can use my laptop as xbmc server, or switch back to a laptop when i want.

PS I have ATI
OK I am going to redescribe this in full as what i would like to achive, as its got a little confusing...

I am currently booting to XBMC in windows 7, everything is perfect except for when the laptop sleeps , and then wakes up the picture is black, and i have to reboot to get it back, and its doing my head in.

So my idea was to install XBMC Live on the second partiton, 500gb, so as default i can use my lappy as a xbmc unit, as it rarely gets used, but would like also to boot into windows when i want to use it, rarely!.

Now i did not realize how difficult this was going to be, i plugged in my usb drive just to try the live install, and it seams to work ok, but i had to select install to entire disk as i dont have a clue how to get it installed on a seperate partiton.

Can sombody help on installing live to the second 500gb partiton and ill go from there, the drivers and all other what not will have to come after, unless i need to do that duringHuh

And there was me thinking i pop in the cd and hit install, DOH!!!
basically like in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts_ey4zrg...re=related
I know how to partiton the drive, but how do i go through the installer and get it to install that way??
maybe give openelec a shot http://openelec.tv/
@ touser

he has trouble installing on diffrent partition not with the xbmc distro of choice.

@ roden

you should familiarrize yourself with the Linux partitioner, Im very sure this has been covered extensively. Please search a little and backup your currents partitions so in case you need to restore. restoring is faster then a fresh reinstall.
I cant find anything on the partitioner, only guides like this http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/xbmc-ion/module/4 but none of these options in the menu come up, and none of the guides mention anything but a full install.

Think ill scrap the idea completely, it seemed good at the time, but way way to much hassle, i just dont have the time for this and getting help is like pulling teeth.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live install?0