• 3(current)
XBMC Live install?
roden Wrote:Thing is when I start reading it makes no sense to me at all , I have no idea what they are talking about Sad

I know how you feel, I have been installing Ubuntu for the last 3 hours and finally finished, I am now trying to install XBMC following the wiki guide but it is not working, I get error messages telling me it can't find files etc. MS Windows is way easier and quicker but costs money.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Why does windows cost money? I'm only wanting a dedicated Linux install for ease of use, or to irradicate all the stupid windows popups, and what no, but if it's this hard to install not sure if it's really worth it.
Isn't OpenElec a much more appropriate choice if you don't want any hassle? XBMC-Live is basically full blown Ubuntu.
Question 
LB06 Wrote:Isn't OpenElec a much more appropriate choice if you don't want any hassle? XBMC-Live is basically full blown Ubuntu.

XBMC-live is a minimal install of ubuntu heavily customized the exact opposite of full blown ubuntu. Not even basically close to full blown.

A example of full blown ubuntu is the generic Desktop edition with gdm, openoffice and a ton other crap.

just thought i'd clear that one up...
Well I don't wanna give up as I only have a few things to do I think, but again these guides don't meen didly squat to me as most of them assume you know what they are talking about
X3lectric Wrote:XBMC-live is a minimal install of ubuntu heavily customized the exact opposite of full blown ubuntu. Not even basically close to full blown.

A example of full blown ubuntu is the generic Desktop edition with gdm, openoffice and a ton other crap.

just thought i'd clear that one up...
Depends on the definition of full blown. Yes XBMC Live doesn't come with desktop apps installed.

But in my book it's still a 100% Ubuntu. Just without desktop apps. My server also runs on Ubuntu and has no desktop apps installed, but I still consider it to be full blown Ubuntu.

http://www.openelec.tv/home/what-is-openelec Wrote:XBMC-Live is distributed by the XBMC-Team. It's based on Ubuntu, which means that it comes with all the Ubuntu software. In essence, you're running a full Ubuntu install, but without a display manager. Since Ubuntu strives to support many hardware platforms, it has to include drivers and firmware for many systems, making it slow to boot. Also, Ubuntu comes with many services which are required on a full desktop/server, but aren't required for a media center. These also slow down the boot process and take up valuable resources on the machine.

But you can disagree with this. Like I said it depends on your definition. For comparison: OpenElec is only a 100MB (well ok, compressed, but still).
Yeah but how do I install the ati addons Smile, 4 pages in and ?
and the baby the xbmc box and a partridge in a pear tree.
X3 your not helping , well sometimes Smile))
Big Grin 
I finished your sentence, Eek that is help... excuse me... burp! Shocked
Ok guys this is getting daft, cumon!
roden Wrote:Yeah but how do I install the ati addons Smile, 4 pages in and ?

ok, I'm not giving up on you - not yet.

copy/paste this line by line to your shell:
Code:
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases
sudo apt-get install -y ia32-libs
cd ~; mkdir catalyst11.6; cd catalyst11.6
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo reboot
now seriously dont forget libvaa
I am just trying to package a more recent livaa for lucid for you, cant promise anything so far.
Ok guys im all up and running, Finally have installing sussed sort of Wink, ip address sorted, everything is running great, but can only run in software mode on video output, so i am going to attemp to install these now..

Whats libvaa, i have an ATI Radeon 4300, in there i believe.
Whats a shell lol, trust me just explaining will be quicker and less painfull for us all Smile

livaa? lucid ? shell?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live install?0