Recommended NAS to replace "Time Capsule" for SMB to aTV 2
pecinko Wrote:I would consider 211 (without J) or whichever model is next, take a look at Synology site.

We have mostly MACs and I had bought 210j a year ago, but had it quickly replaced with 209 model. Having to look at file transfers crawling at a speed of wifi was just to much for me.

The reviews on the 211 are great, and Newegg is selling it for $299 plus a 15% off promo that ends tomorrow.

I also like the QNAP TS-212 TurboNAS.

Both are in the same price range, $200-$300 which is perfect.

Now to make a choice. I'd like to get one before the Newegg promo ends. Smile

UPDATE: Took the plunge and got the Synology DS211 from Newegg. I'll most likely get the Belkin F5D8053 v3 wireless dongle as well.

Thanks guys! Happy Fourth!
Congrats. You won't be disappointed.
When you guys are talking about Synology. Anyone with experience on the DS407,407e or ds408?
Can anyone tell me what is the benefit of a NAS over a small nettop pc?

I have a acer revo with two 1tb drives attached that sync each other. This allows me to have filezilla installed as a ftp, streamtome for the ipad, torrent downloader, nzb downloader, dropbox so I can remotely add a torrent and have it downloaded by the time I get home etc. it seems that a NAS is just a lowbudget pc that handles raid.
Im glad I found this thread. Im looking to set up a NAS for my home network to connect to my ATV2. My primary concern is what filesystem the NAS servers use and how compatible are they with both Mac and PC. As well as file size limit as most of the videos I'd like to store on them are about 2-6Gb in size.

I was looking at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822108066

Its one thats within my budget range and was wondering how well it works. Judging by the people who use the DS211j, I would like to assume this one is just as great.

Now I understand that these have a USB port on the back, so does that mean I can connect an external HDD to extend the storage? If so what filesystem would the external need to be, would it work if the external was NTFS?
Magnumosity Wrote:Im glad I found this thread. Im looking to set up a NAS for my home network to connect to my ATV2. My primary concern is what filesystem the NAS servers use and how compatible are they with both Mac and PC. As well as file size limit as most of the videos I'd like to store on them are about 2-6Gb in size.

I was looking at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822108066

Its one thats within my budget range and was wondering how well it works. Judging by the people who use the DS211j, I would like to assume this one is just as great.

Now I understand that these have a USB port on the back, so does that mean I can connect an external HDD to extend the storage? If so what filesystem would the external need to be, would it work if the external was NTFS?

Both systems are pretty much identical, the DS411J has a slower processor at 1.2Ghz versus the DS211's 1.6Ghz, and the DS411J is a 4-bay NAS. Both have 2x USB 2.0 connections for additional ext. HDD's. They are configured/accessed via browser, supported Windows, OS X and Ubuntu compliant (Can use OS X "Time Machine" making it a "Time Capsule"). Compare the specs from the site.

DS211:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS211/spec.php

DS411J:

http://www.synology.com/us/products/DS411j/spec.php
6corewhore Wrote:Both systems are pretty much identical, the DS411J has a slower processor at 1.2Ghz

...and 128 ram instead of 256, so it's cca 25% slower than DS211.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:...and 128 ram instead of 256, so it's cca 25% slower than DS211.

What kind of factors go with having more ram, and what does cca mean?

Sorry for all my uninformed questions
Magnumosity Wrote:What kind of factors go with having more ram, and what does cca mean?

Sorry for all my uninformed questions

Cca = aproximately. Nas comes with a pack of services - music and photo sharing/streaming, download daemon etc. They need RAM and CPU. File transfers need CPU.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

(Sorry for using the google translator ... I do not speak English).

I have a set for my dedicated server using "Freenas" another server also ridden by my using "windows server", a network hard drive "WD My Word Edition" and a "Popcourn A-100" with a USB disk connected, simultaneous all and all for "SMB".

Everything works fine, just need to know to add the correct paths to network resources, for example, to external disk "Popcourn to-100", its path is "sbm: \ \ PCH-A100 \ USB \"

assemble a pc as a server costs less than $ 200 without disks.

my server is already two years....:

"Asus M4N78 PRO Socket AM2+/AM3 DDR2" (6-Satas+2Ide)
"Tacens Radix III 520W"
"NOX Coolbay 25 V2 Negro"
"AMD Sempron LE-140 2.7Ghz AM3 Box""
"1Gbram"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended NAS to replace "Time Capsule" for SMB to aTV 20