XBMC Live network mount issue
Hi all.

I installed XBMC Live 10.1 to a USB stick and can't get any network drive mapped.

I have tried using GUI adding video resource with both domain and IPs, got connection timed out

Then I logged on to the console, installed nfs client, edited the fstab to trying to use nfs and smb, no luck again.

One strange thing is that I can view all the remote folders, however, when trying to browse the files, would get timed out

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

RW
Lightbulb 
Hi and welcome.

you could try increasing the samba timeout by adding a value to your advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
     <disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
  </network>
  <samba>
    <clienttimeout>6000</clienttimeout>
    <statfiles>true</statfiles>
</samba>
</advancedsettings>
Failing this, the XBMC from git bleeding edge supports NFS natively though it needs compiling in the support.

If this doesn't work, I dont know further, running from a usb is something I only tested and gone back to the hdd install due to how fast the usb key dies because of the amount of writes.

perhaps asking people on the lili thread which is a sticky on these sub-forums.
cheers
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried three different machines

first one is the one having most problems
AMD 3000+ 2gb DDR+ SIS, live install to a USB stick, no FTP, no smb, no nfs, however it can access the internet

second one is my lenovo thinkpad x61t Intel NIC, live install to a USB stick, FTP is working fine, play movie streaming over FTP, that is quite odd, SMB is not working either, didn't tested NFS

third one is a Core 2 Duo CPU + Realtek NIC,installed on to SSD, working absolutely fine, SMB is perfect

I think it can be either XBMC (or Ubuntu underlying) is picky about the NIC or USB wrting speed is slow

Any ideas

Thanks RW
XBMC uses the OS for the neworking part though you can obviously tweak xbmc, SMB problems aren't uncommon, due mostly to network conditions, I think you need to dig into these various machines.

Also its known that usb installs kill the usb keys due to the amount of read/writes (like ssd its nand flash memory but without any clever wear leveling etc and so on).

You should investigate.
Hi

Yes I would keep looking into it, thank you

Have you got any idea what is the minimum hard drive for live installation

I know there is no problem putting it onto a 4GB usb drive

Thanks
XBMClive is tiny install, if your considering hdd's best value for money I have 2 x 2.5" 320GB hdd's one came with system the other was donated by a dead laptop, I find a hdd great cause I can run sabnzbd+ and not worry about too many reads/writes.

find HDD's around $40 or £40 that are perfectly ok.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live network mount issue0