Full screen and windowed mode on secondary display
I know this has been discussed already, but I'm finding it hard to determine the current status of the issue. Maybe someone can get me up to date?

I extend my desktop onto a secondary display, which is a TV, and that's where I configured XBMC to live in settings. I'd really like to be able to switch between full-screen XBMC and windowed mode, but the keyboard shortcut '\' always dumps XBMC onto the primary monitor. When I press '\' again, it goes full-screen but stays on the primary monitor, ignoring my earlier settings choice. When I drag the XBMC window onto the TV and press '\', it still goes full-screen on the primary monitor. Either way, I have to go back into settings to put it back on the TV and confirm with the "Accept resolution" dialog.

This is one thing Windows Media Center does more or less right, and I miss it quite a bit, because XBMC minimizes itself when it loses focus in full-screen mode, so I have to use windowed mode if I want to watch something on the TV and use the primary monitor at the same time.
Star 
This has been discussed quite recently...

Settings>System>Video output>Display mode>Full Screen #2

and

ATI CCC allows you to swap the primary display in extend mode.
"Full Screen #2" is what I was referring to with the word "settings", which I thought was clear from context.

As for ATI CCC, I use Nvidia, and the issue I'm talking about is independent of the video card anyway. I would never make the TV the primary monitor, because functionally it isn't the primary monitor, and I don't want the taskbar on it, nor do I want all my programs to open on it.

My point is that the function bound to the '\' hotkey should note which monitor XBMC is on and keep it on that monitor as it switches between full screen and windowed mode. Also, it should have no effect on the default "Display mode", which it currently does. After using '\', I always have to go into settings and set the display mode back to "Full Screen #2", even if I quit and restart XBMC.
I have exactly the same problem. I just want it to full screen according to the monitor it is windowed in ie if I'm viewing it windowed in monitor 1 then I want it to full screen to monitor 1. If I'm viewing it windowed in monitor 2 then I want it to full screen to monitor 2.
kushty Wrote:I have exactly the same problem. I just want it to full screen according to the monitor it is windowed in ie if I'm viewing it windowed in monitor 1 then I want it to full screen to monitor 1. If I'm viewing it windowed in monitor 2 then I want it to full screen to monitor 2.

Are you using the setting "Use fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen."? That's how I have my son's set up and it seems to work fine, although I couldn't swear to it because I rarely use his machine for anything except to do occasional updates.
I have this issue as well. the '\' Key does not function how it should.

the '\' key should switch to windowed mode, and then back to whatever mode its usually set too.
TheTVDB.com moderator
has anyone found a solution?

As far as I can see, even with the Display Mode set to the second monitor, the keyboard shortcut "\" still fullscreens XBMC to the primary monitor, I've also tried fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen too. Makes no difference.
Star 
If you're running an ATI card with CCC you can swap primary display, so that your secondary TV becomes your Primary & Vice Versa. When I do this... detect displays lists my TV as #1 and my monitor as #2. This configuration allows XBMC to run full screen on the TV with content and the monitor to provide computer windowing.
I have an nvidia display. I can swap which monitor is primary, but even when I set my second monitor as the primary on fullscreening XBMC using backslash it still moves to the other screen.

I wonder if there is a timeline on getting this fixed. Does XBMC have a bugtracker?

**edit**

seems it's been logged.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12217

out of interest is it possible to hotkey anything within the UI? i.e. could I cycle through video options via hotkeys?
nemof Wrote:out of interest is it possible to hotkey anything within the UI? i.e. could I cycle through video options via hotkeys?

No. Only specific actions and functions can be mapped to keystrokes. This can be extended a bit because you can have a key mapped to a Python script and you can do various cunning tricks from Python. There's also a SendClick function that you can use to emulate mouse clicks. I suppose you could have a Python script open the settings screen then simulate mouse clicks on the relevant bits of the screen, but this is going to get terribly hacky.

JR
Ran across this bug last night when trying to setup a new audio receiver

Switching inputs on the receiver forces XBMC from my HDTV to the monitor, and my options to get it back on TV are either a good 10+ button clicks to navigate into settings or to close & reopen XBMC

Toggling fullscreen on and off would be a fast solution, but unfortunetly it seems to be hardcoded only for the Primary display, regardless of which display selected in settings or screen the windowed xbmc is running on

Tried the lastest Eden beta and this behavior is unchanged

It seems the ideal fix would be to alter the fullscreen toggle to toggle between all available Display Modes (Windowed/Fullscreen #1/Fullscreen #2/etc...) instead of just fullscreen primary & windowed. It wouldn't change it's functionality for single displays while giving more options for those of us with multiple.
This issue is still happening. I'm running with a laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI. If I want to see anything on the TV, I have to run in windowed mode at a much lower resolution. Every time that I select full screen, it pops over to my laptop monitor. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?
(2011-12-09, 18:07)nemof Wrote: I have an nvidia display. I can swap which monitor is primary, but even when I set my second monitor as the primary on fullscreening XBMC using backslash it still moves to the other screen.

I wonder if there is a timeline on getting this fixed. Does XBMC have a bugtracker?

**edit**

seems it's been logged.

out of interest is it possible to hotkey anything within the UI? i.e. could I cycle through video options via hotkeys?

Does anybody have any new info on this? I see from that ticket that its been marked "solved" but its still happening on my setup and I'm running the latest Eden build (I think, i'll check when I get home, but its def NOT the beta).

Aside from that ticket and any ACTUAL fix, is there a setting I can put in advancedsettings.xml that will force this? I'd rather not make GUI changes to advancedsettings.xml but this issue has become pretty annoying. I see here (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...lscreen.3E) that there is a <fullscreen> xml tag option but I don't see anything about specifying which monitor is the XBMC default. So would I just add this:
Code:
<fullscreen2>true</fullscreen2>
to get it to only show up on the 2nd monitor?
(2011-12-09, 18:07)nemof Wrote: I have an nvidia display. I can swap which monitor is primary, but even when I set my second monitor as the primary on fullscreening XBMC using backslash it still moves to the other screen.

**edit**

seems it's been logged.

Is there any update on this? I have the same issue, though for me the serious issue is that whenever I turn off my TV, or switch sources (i.e. watch DirecTV), while XBMC is still open, I will be forced to go into settings and switch Display Mode to Fullscreen #2 and 'accept" that resolution. I too, would love XBMC to default to Fullscreen #2 if my computer is currently detecting a 2nd monitor or at the very least get a hotkey to cycle through display modes. I followed that ticket and it says the problem is resolved in Eden, but I'm still experiencing it. Are any of these third party solutions (UltraMon or Display Fusion) effective at all? I too, have no interest in making my TV the Primary monitor as I don't want the taskbar on it (would create much much more problems). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
edit: Whoops! sorry about that ya'll. Did NOT see that there was a second page AND that I had already phished for some new answers. I feel like a dolt...
(2012-07-04, 05:27)seth.feinberg Wrote: Is there any update on this? I have the same issue, though for me the serious issue is that whenever I turn off my TV, or switch sources (i.e. watch DirecTV), while XBMC is still open, I will be forced to go into settings and switch Display Mode to Fullscreen #2 and 'accept" that resolution. I too, would love XBMC to default to Fullscreen #2 if my computer is currently detecting a 2nd monitor or at the very least get a hotkey to cycle through display modes. I followed that ticket and it says the problem is resolved in Eden, but I'm still experiencing it. Are any of these third party solutions (UltraMon or Display Fusion) effective at all? I too, have no interest in making my TV the Primary monitor as I don't want the taskbar on it (would create much much more problems). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have this issue in last Frody Nightlies 20121121 (also with Beta 1).

If I turn off and on my reciever where my secondary display is connected to (my TV), XBMC will change to Primary display even if the Secondary is available agian after few seconds. My graphics card is i5 integrated Intel HD 4000, OS is Win 7.

Does anyone else have this issue and is there any workarounds?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Full screen and windowed mode on secondary display0