Building first HTPC need help with hardware purchase
So im looking to do my first build, and I know I can do the software and scripting bit, of any required, but im not sure about the hardware, im not very big on hardware.
  • DVD's
  • Blueray
  • Pandora
  • Hulu
  • Netflix
  • Youtube
  • Universal remote
  • SSD for the OS/software
  • 1tb for movies and music
  • Wireless connection
  • Good graphics for large TV

Thats basically my requirement list. I know that the pandora plugin wont work on all versions of ubuntu, I think 9.10 was it? or 10.4... Not sure.

I just dont want to order all of this, then have to send stuff back because its not compatible.

As for the graphics, this might be a pretty big TV, I havent yet decided, I have a ATI FIrepro 8700, so If I can utilize that, that would be awesome

Also, what types of games do you play on these? I mean obviously ps3/xbox games wont work, so do you just play computer games with a joystick remote or something?

Thanks!

Justin
You should have asked a moderator to move your original thread and rename it instead of posting same thing in more then one sub-forum. I guess now you can ask one to delete the other thread.
Im actually looking for a list of moderators, heh.

Did post in the other to ask for it to be deleted.

And its done Smile
Was thinking of going for one of these: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=721011&postcount=1

But would this be able to hold the graphics card listed above and an internal wireless card?
i would get a new video card...
a cheap HD5450 will do,,,
check in my HTPC guide...

as for WiFi, check in my own HTPC description in my signature...
you'll see which one i use and recommend....
If I wanted to hookup a wireless thin client so I could stream media to my bedroom from this (in the living room), what type of thin client would you recommend?

I was actually going to do a build very similar to yours, lol
stream SD content using WiFi, ok,

stream HD content uing WiFi, not recommended,
I will prob have the router right by the tv, so that can be HD, but then the thin client in the bedroom would be SD and wireless.
I dont recommend any ATI or Intel GPU, setting this up with hardware playback acceleration decoding is a bigger problem all around.

Any nvidia card much easier and better results all around. As for card type 210, 220 or more depending what yuo can afford, SSD is a bit overrated but if you can afford it for minimal gains, its your pocket.

Wireless N (full N not 150mbps shitty N) handles HD just fine.
What wireless card would you recommend?
I dont really care to rip dvd's or blueray, I just want to play them in HD
then you best add makemkv to the list of have to buy or add windows, as Linux cannot read unencrypted blurays, only with makemkv.

The wireless cards depends on your wireless router ability. You need to get a decent signal and get at least 200mbps connection since e wireless N fluctuates as normally if too far from router require a wireless extender... Its not an open and shut case I can say a card that works for me it may not necessarily work for you.

FYI a DVD is not HD it can be upscaled but it requires a decent video card which you wont find in ATI, easily configured.
Wireless is a tricky issue due to the MANY factors and variables that can come in to play. You might get lucky but chances are you will not get away with doing it on the cheap. Often times people end up having to replace some of the first equipment they buy.
If at all possible, hard wire a Gigabit router with Cat6 cable and be done with it, you will be much happier. 50-100 feet of decent wire is cheap (monoprice.com) and guaranteed to work and perform beautifully Nod

If you must go wireless get a performance router the first time: WNDR3700 is very powerful and works on 2 frequencies simultaneously. I COULD stream HD content with this but I choose to leave the wireless power for my wife's laptop instead Wink
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
X3lectric Wrote:then you best add makemkv to the list of have to buy or add windows, as Linux cannot read unencrypted blurays, only with makemkv.

The wireless cards depends on your wireless router ability. You need to get a decent signal and get at least 200mbps connection since e wireless N fluctuates as normally if too far from router require a wireless extender... Its not an open and shut case I can say a card that works for me it may not necessarily work for you.

FYI a DVD is not HD it can be upscaled but it requires a decent video card which you wont find in ATI, easily configured.
Whoa, no Windows here, dont throw the W word at me, lol... I didnt know bluerays required that, so thanks.
outatouch0 Wrote:Wireless is a tricky issue due to the MANY factors and variables that can come in to play. You might get lucky but chances are you will not get away with doing it on the cheap. Often times people end up having to replace some of the first equipment they buy.
If at all possible, hard wire a Gigabit router with Cat6 cable and be done with it, you will be much happier. 50-100 feet of decent wire is cheap (monoprice.com) and guaranteed to work and perform beautifully Nod

If you must go wireless get a performance router the first time: WNDR3700 is very powerful and works on 2 frequencies simultaneously. I COULD stream HD content with this but I choose to leave the wireless power for my wife's laptop instead Wink

I would love cat6, but its a bit of a pita to bust holes in the wall and run the cable upstairs on the oppose side of the apartment, lol.
XBMC does support reading unencrypted bluray dirs but must be compiled with such support from git trunk, in fact you will find a bit of help in my signature. Tehrs many options around and some require more work then others.

You know you can do some nice networking with some gigabit homeplugs though I never used it before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building first HTPC need help with hardware purchase0