Crash when importing ctypes
Hi, I've created (trac 11665 a number of days ago and while i thought the problem was solved it was infact not.

I've later discovered that the issue relates to a known problem when importing ctypes in python as I've documented on trac 11699. (see http://bugs.python.org/issue6869 for more on the issue)

This issue is currently the only thing holding up release of the new version of the YouTube plugin to the eden-pre branch repository, so we're very interested in getting some input from team xbmc on this problem.
HenrikDK, Sorry I missed this. If this is fixed in 2.7 you can build the latest xbmc against 2.7. It's easiest on Linux. Where are you building?
Sorry. I just realized that was a stupid suggestion (I originally thought you were working on a personal script).
The only way I can think of to fix this is to move to Python 2.7.
Hi seems davilla has a commit that has fixed this on ios and osx which i will test to verify, but we have also reproduced this crash on windows which would need fixing before we sign of on this for good Smile.
jfcarroll Wrote:The only way I can think of to fix this is to move to Python 2.7.

While davilla seems to have found a fix for our current issue, i think there's still reason to examine this suggestion. I don't really see any benefit for xbmc to not use the latest stable version of the 2.x branch. My guess is this would also reduce future maintenance efforts on the 2.x branch since one could always just update to the latest point release and get the latest bugfixes that way, instead of manually maintaining a patch tree against previous outdated versions. Smile

/HenrikDK
2.6.6 was picked for consistency. On Ubuntu Maverick 2.6.6 is installed by default and the build just picks up the "system" python.
jfcarroll Wrote:2.6.6 was picked for consistency. On Ubuntu Maverick 2.6.6 is installed by default and the build just picks up the "system" python.

Couldn't python 2.7 be added as a dependency to the ppa / deb packages? The main argument for doing this is, that while ubuntu maintainers seem to backport bugfixes for python on their platform (we've been unable to reproduce this using the system provided python on ubuntu) this just creates a problem for windows and osx/ios where you're now bound to using a specific release and maintaining that yourself (though i guess there will always be some overhead involved with this).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crash when importing ctypes0