Making XBMC idiot proof
Firstly, let me get this straight... I am not calling my wife an idiot...

I just want to make XBMC very very user-friendly. We have guests staying while we're away, and I want them to be able to use the HTPC without being scared by loads of settings and unable to butcher my system while I'm not there.

I want to use profiles to make my PC load up XBMC at start up and automatically go into a user profile where all settings and "back office" bits and pieces are locked away and hidden - so the interface is obvious to use and clear to navigate.

How do I access profiles?

Any other tips for locking my PC down and making it very clear to use.

Thanks for any help.
Scooblakhan Wrote:Firstly, let me get this straight... I am not calling my wife an idiot...

I just want to make XBMC very very user-friendly. We have guests staying while we're away, and I want them to be able to use the HTPC without being scared by loads of settings and unable to butcher my system while I'm not there.

I want to use profiles to make my PC load up XBMC at start up and automatically go into a user profile where all settings and "back office" bits and pieces are locked away and hidden - so the interface is obvious to use and clear to navigate.

How do I access profiles?

Any other tips for locking my PC down and making it very clear to use.

Thanks for any help.

you can setup a password for accessing the settings page (system/settings/master lock)
greetings, Stephan

There are also certain skins that are more idiot proof than others, simplistic in design but effective. Nod
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
sraue Wrote:you can setup a password for accessing the settings page (system/settings/master lock)
Thanks Sraue. That sounds worth looking into. Is there an option for profiles? I'd like to make XBMC load into a basic profile where options and settings can't be accessed or butchered. Then ideally I could have several profiles with different access and skins.

tcman47 Wrote:There are also certain skins that are more idiot proof than others, simplistic in design but effective. Nod

Could you recommend some, Tcman?
Yes you can have profiles

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Profiles

A number of skins also have kiosk mode so you can lock down menus in views etc so people cant change stuff
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thanks X. I saw that page of the Wiki but it says "Selecting Profiles from the main settings window will bring you to the screen pictured to the left" and I can't see that option anyway. I've just loaded up XBMC and its still got the confluence skin.

Thanks for suggesting skins with "kiosk" modes - a quick google suggests Transparency! is the main proponent. Any others I should consider?
....and don't forget Kiosk mode so they cannot adjust views, posters, or anything else. Basically turns it into a read-only system.
-stoli-
I've discovered the ability to add / change profiles is skin specific, you also need to set a master lock in order to be able to create a new profile.

I use the Transparency skin and am prompted to select the profile as XBMC loads, transparency also has kiosk mode which you can enable to lock everything away.
Thanks guys. That's really helpful. Can you set up profiles so XBMC loads into one profile automatically?

I want to try and lock down my PC so Windows and XBMC load up at startup and are locked down against changes without passwords.
Guest account.

You're a brave man, to let guests use your PC whilw you're away. There's no such thign as idiot proof, just idiot resistant.

You first lien made me laugh.
Ardalista Wrote:I've discovered the ability to add / change profiles is skin specific, you also need to set a master lock in order to be able to create a new profile.

This is simply not true on both accounts you can create profiles in all skins and you don't need to set a master lock code

@Scooblakhan

Look out for sub menus in XBMC on the home menu and in views your find them using the arrow keys up, down, left, right

For example your find profiles in the system sub menu in Confluence

Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
>>X<<' Wrote:This is simply not true on both accounts you can create profiles in all skins and you don't need to set a master lock code

Ah I stand corrected... It appears some skins make access to profiles easier than others, perhaps I just couldn't be bothered with interfaces that hid things away more than I felt they needed to, but then each to their own and I guess some must like it that way.

and yes I've just been tinkering and disabled the master code too, though I wonder why you'd want to have profiles without a master codeHuh wouldn't that just let anyone log into the master profile?
Thanks X. I'm pretty sure I don't have that "profiles" option under "Settings" (I'm away from home until Tuesday, when I'll be able to have another look.

Ardalista - I agree about the master lock - I want it so I can lock down the standard profile and stop any tampering and make it very basic and simple to use.

I guess it would be of use, without a master code, where you had several users who all wanted different skins and setups but where each was not worried about the access privileges of the other users.
Scooblakhan Wrote:Thanks guys. That's really helpful. Can you set up profiles so XBMC loads into one profile automatically?

I want to try and lock down my PC so Windows and XBMC load up at startup and are locked down against changes without passwords.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.gameex.net/Community/InstantS...fault.aspx
Scooblakhan Wrote:Thanks X. I'm pretty sure I don't have that "profiles" option under "Settings" (I'm away from home until Tuesday, when I'll be able to have another look.

Its not under settings you highlight "System" on the "Home Menu" you then press your right arrow key and it will bring out the "System Sub Menu" as in the screen shot

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Making XBMC idiot proof0