Making XBMC idiot proof
Tempest Wrote:This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.gameex.net/Community/InstantS...fault.aspx
Thanks a lot for that link Tempest. That's a really useful site - I'm going to do some more reading...
Scooblakhan Wrote:Firstly, let me get this straight... I am not calling my wife an idiot...

I just want to make XBMC very very user-friendly. We have guests staying while we're away, and I want them to be able to use the HTPC without being scared by loads of settings and unable to butcher my system while I'm not there.

I want to use profiles to make my PC load up XBMC at start up and automatically go into a user profile where all settings and "back office" bits and pieces are locked away and hidden - so the interface is obvious to use and clear to navigate.

How do I access profiles?

Any other tips for locking my PC down and making it very clear to use.

Thanks for any help.

Making XBMC idiot proof? Rofl

nothing
can be made idiot proof.

Impossible, nature always comes up with a better idiot... Oo

//edit but your question was answered just such a wip my ass thread tittle when I saw it Im like rotflmaotismp
HHH - yeah, I do like to try and come up with thread titles that pique interest!

Looking at your sig, X3lectric, I am wondering if I might be better off using ubuntu or XBMClive for my project...

I thought I might have trouble sorting out the remote control in linux.
Im not gonna lie to you, ubuntu or xbmclive which is a heavily customized minimal ubuntu lucid 10.04 based installer, does require a few tweaks and work.

on that note plenty of forum threads and wiki articles have been written on how to do anything in Linux (or Linux Ubuntu), so bare that in mind before starting your own topic, making sure its not already addressed both on forums or wiki xbmc faq etc.

The only reason I responded to topic was because of the tittle and how ironic it is, cause I have tried and failed to make things idiot proof and like I said, nature prevales over a simple man's attempts.

good luck and good reading I took me months to learn what little I know and dont expect any less from anyone else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Making XBMC idiot proof0