Stuck in Library mode on iPad2
Somehow I did something that put it in Library mode and can't figure out how to get it out. I have the old Xbox version for years and there was a check on the left side as I recall but don't see that now. Suggestions.
You're running a nightly build - there is no library mode vs file mode distinction in videos anymore.

Files is part of library mode. You can get there by hitting the "Files" button on Confluence's homepage, or by going to the root of the library and then to the "Files" node.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I did the claudia method on the iPad so I think it is the last stable but maybe not. I can't find where to see version. In old xbox ver it was under settings. Where is it here?

Found it under Claudia and it is 10.0.9
jmarshall Wrote:You're running a nightly build - there is no library mode vs file mode distinction in videos anymore.

Files is part of library mode. You can get there by hitting the "Files" button on Confluence's homepage, or by going to the root of the library and then to the "Files" node.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I hope this isn't permanent. Personally speaking, I have never liked using Library mode, and always have set my "Videos" folder to file mode. Back from original Xbox days.

I know many, maybe even most love the Library, but personally I organize my files at the file system level so that multiple applications can utilize the content without a need for a "library" feature.

This seems like a forced library mode. I know you can still get there via "files", but that isn't intuitive for guests/children looking for video content.

Just my 2 cents.

-- Phob
who is claudia?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Phobia Wrote:I hope this isn't permanent. Personally speaking, I have never liked using Library mode, and always have set my "Videos" folder to file mode. Back from original Xbox days.

I know many, maybe even most love the Library, but personally I organize my files at the file system level so that multiple applications can utilize the content without a need for a "library" feature.

This seems like a forced library mode. I know you can still get there via "files", but that isn't intuitive for guests/children looking for video content.

Just my 2 cents.

-- Phob

there is no library when you build no library ... so this shouldn't force anyone to anything ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:who is claudia?

My affectionate name for Cydia, but don't tell the wife. Just our secret.
Memphiz Wrote:there is no library when you build no library ... so this shouldn't force anyone to anything ...

You can't just select "file mode" though like on the PC/Xbox builds.

The way it seems to work now, I've either got to navigate to the Videos button, press right to get the menu, then select Files, or select Video, then select files, then I can see my folder structure. I've got to do this each time I close and re-open XBMC.

In the PC/Xbox, you select either File or Library mode, and XBMC remembers this setting. Then when you click Videos, it takes me straight to the list of shares I've added. No Library content polluting the view.

Maybe I'm missing something?

-- Phob
Phobia Wrote:You can't just select "file mode" though like on the PC/Xbox builds.

The way it seems to work now, I've either got to navigate to the Videos button, press right to get the menu, then select Files, or select Video, then select files, then I can see my folder structure. I've got to do this each time I close and re-open XBMC.

In the PC/Xbox, you select either File or Library mode, and XBMC remembers this setting. Then when you click Videos, it takes me straight to the list of shares I've added. No Library content polluting the view.

Maybe I'm missing something?

-- Phob

Just use a skin with custom home buttons. Hide the original "Videos" button in settings, then name this custom home button "Videos"
Ned Scott Wrote:Just use a skin with custom home buttons. Hide the original "Videos" button in settings, then name this custom home button "Videos"

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Is this possible with the built-in "Confluence" skin? I ask as we have grown accustomed to this look at my house, and I don't want to change things up, so if I can make a new Videos link that goes directly to file mode as it seems to do currently on my PC build, I'll be happy.

I had hoped to use ATV2 devices in place of full blown PCs for future XBMC clients around my house, but this is a "deal breaker" for me.

Out of curiosity, why was this changed, and would it be possible to keep whatever new functionality was gained without losing the ability to easily map the video button to file mode as was done up until recently?

-- Phob
Edit Home.xml and change ActivateWindow(Videos) to ActivateWindow(VideoFiles). That should be all that's needed I think.

Alternate is ActivateWindow(Videos,sources://video/,return)

As to why it was changed: You just need to look at the forums for the 1023010401241 posts where users get "stuck" in file or library mode and have no idea what they've done. There's more changes to come which will make the entire library mode structure editable, so if you just want files you can specify that.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Edit Home.xml and change ActivateWindow(Videos) to ActivateWindow(VideoFiles). That should be all that's needed I think.

Alternate is ActivateWindow(Videos,sources://video/,return)

As to why it was changed: You just need to look at the forums for the 1023010401241 posts where users get "stuck" in file or library mode and have no idea what they've done. There's more changes to come which will make the entire library mode structure editable, so if you just want files you can specify that.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Many thanks for this - I'll give it a try.

-- Phob
PS - will I need to re-apply this change each time I update?
Phobia Wrote:PS - will I need to re-apply this change each time I update?

not if you move the Confluence folder to

var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/addons/

Anything in that folder will over ride the default when a new install/upgrade is made.
Phobia Wrote:Out of curiosity, why was this changed, and would it be possible to keep whatever new functionality was gained without losing the ability to easily map the video button to file mode as was done up until recently?

Both library mode and file modes had their pros and cons. In file mode you can arrange everything just how you want it with nested folders and such. For example, I have a folder within my Movies folder for Christmas movies. However, in file mode you don't get the nice display of meta data like summaries and such.

You get this in library mode but you can't really arrange things like you want. You can do smart playlists, but it's far from the convenance and flexibility of file mode. It's also harder to store things like video extras for a TV show/movie along side those files since most scrapers don't contain info for them.

When you combined both modes you basically get file mode with metadata. Summaries, banners, fanart, but at the same time you can arrange everything you want. You can also have files that scrapers identify (like a TV show) side by side with things it doesn't find (like extras).

At least that's some of the benefits I see in it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuck in Library mode on iPad20