Connecting xbmc questions
I Hsve explored the Internet for two days and yet xbmc is still a frustration. I have st my files to be shared, no passwords needed, I have typed in the path \\Myname-PC\Users\ventrano\Videos exactly as shown and I get an error that it can not connect or invalid path. Is there some place that I need to go to connect xbmc to my network? How do I check to see if it is connected to my network? Thank you for your help.
Can you not just browse to the share and select it from within xbmc?
-stoli-
I go to browse and the options are unclear to me so clicked on all of them but none take me to my files on my computer. I am running windows 7 and apple tv2. I have not been able to set anything up in xbmc. Let's assume that I just downloaded xbmc, what is my first step to getting it access to my files. I appreciate the quick response.
Try following this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ia_Sources and you should be up and running in no time.
-stoli-
Thank you for the link. The challenge is that when I hit browse then windows there aren't any files there. What do I need to do on my pc or on xbmc to see those files? I believe that I have read all the wikis to no avail. I am sure I am missing a very basic step.
How do you have your files shared in Win7? XBMC doesn't play nice with HomeGroup.
Sorry it is windows vista not 7. I have just clicked on share for all of my files. How should I do it?
Try just mapping the share as a drive and see if that works.
-stoli-
What is the syntax? So let's y a shared path is smb:\\VANO-pc\shared\videos is that the exact syntax?
I have to share to the ip address on mine Eg. SMB:\\10.1.1.3\Videos

Also, ensure that the share permissions on your PC are set to 'Everybody'
This may help a bit.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63123
Videos
Add videos
Browse
Add network location
Protocol windows network smb (not sure if that is what I should be using)
Server name (I am using the ip address off of my pc by going to cmd, ipconfig and taking the . Once I tried the apple tv ip address and that didn't work either.
Shared folder is blank
Username is my computer name. On the paths for folders it is in all caps vano-PC or VANO-PC. Which should I use? Is the syntax correct
Password is the password I use at the initial start up of my pc
This didn't work. I get the timed out error then the cant connect to the network error. What should I be doing to get xbmc to connect to my network. Thanks in advance.
Again, can you even map to your shares?
-stoli-
This is how I do my Windows Shares (Works Same or Similiar on XP, Vista, and 7).

1) Add a local user on your computer with the media (I call mine f) Then set their password to something

2) Right click your media folder you want to share and choose Properties -> Sharing -> Advanced Sharing.

Check the box Share this folder and give it a name you want ie: TV Shows Movies, etc.

Then Click on the Permissions button and click add. Then type your local username ie: I set up a local user called f so I typed "f" and clicked on check names. It comes back and changes f to : HAWK-PC\f (Hawk-pc is my computer name so yours will say something different.

Then I hit ok! For f (Hawk-PC\f) I make sure he can have full control (you can limit to read only if you want).

Then your done configuring your share on your media computer.

3) Open XBMC on some other computer in your home network. Go to videos, and click add videos. Scroll down to Windows SMB and click it. Once it opens the folder (which may take 10 secs or so) don't go any farther and just go down and click OK.

Now, you'll see the option to choose Windows SMB as one of your video sources. Click it. The next list will be a list of all the windows devices on your netowrk. Choose the one that is the name of your Media PC. Then you'll see a list of folders with the name you gave in #2 above : ie Movies, Videos, TV, etc.

When you click on that one, it will prompt you for a username and password. Enter the local user's name and password you created in step 1. Then check the box remember this name and password.

Done!

4) Optional, you can tell your media computer to autologin using your primary account (rather than showing a login screen with your local user you made for xbmc and your regular user).

Google: windows 7 autologin
windows vista autologin
windows xp autologin

There should be some easy tutorials for each version of windows you are working with.

Note: For Win 7, this method kinda bypasses all the HomeGroup crap in favor of simple filesharing. The only thing is that Win 7 requires username/pass for shares and most people don't put passwords on their primary account so using that account won't work.
Well, just a wild guess here, but did you configure your HTPC with the correct IP Settings so that the two Systems can see each other ? Try pinging one from the other, if this does not work you have the error right there.
BTW, some more information about your setup (Server, HTPC, OS, which XBMC version and so on) would be helpful.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connecting xbmc questions0