Wiki contributions and vandalism
Hello guys!
My name is Ray and I'm an ex-LinuxMCE convert.

Have been playing around with the awesome XBMC for about a month now and must say, I'm quite impressed with the work you've done so far. Already have 3 other guys in the office hooked on the XBMC and Mythbox add-on combination....

So here's the thing, I want to give back, so I was looking through the wiki to see where I could help out but then ran into the first thing testing it out; can't create new pages, heck, can't even create my own user page...what's up with that? I thought. Then reading a bit further and looking at the "Wanted Pages" I realized why...all the vandalism and junk that the wiki has gotten...its ridiculous. So though I now understand the reasoning behind the lockdown, I have seen the many benefits of multiple cooperation and collaboration on wikis, the knowledge shared, exponential growth, etc., etc.

Having said all that, now here's my questions,
1) what does someone need to do to get access to create pages?
2) was the lockdown in effect because we didn't have Captcha implemented, or did the vandalism still occurred even with Captcha?

Thank you all for all you do...I realize we are all volunteers here, and you guys have done a heck of a job with the current product.

Ray
1. You ask for for ninja status - PM pike.
2. Vandalism occurs no matter what - the captcha to sign up here doesn't slow spammers posting here.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Will do...thanks.
welcome to camp XBMC Smile

You've now been ninja'd
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Hey Pike,

Any chance i can get Ninja'ed too?

I've just finished setting up XBMC (my second one) on a Shuttle XS35GTv2 and have a bit of experience i wanted to put out there, particularly around HDMI audio under Fedora / Pulseaudio...

I've got edit rights on the wiki now but not create rights...

Cheers!
Ayden
hi abeeson, good thing you signed up with same name on Wiki as forum, else I'd be forced to ask and we all would waste a lot of time Smile

Welcome

lol sorry i was going to mention that Smile

Thanks Pike!
To anyone who might be coming across this thread later, the spam has been cleared out, new spam blacklists installed, and page creation access is now automated. Basically you have to have an account that is a few days old and make a few edits, and you become "auto confirmed". The idea being that in those two days any spam bots would be caught (either by IP check or by actual edits).

I should have some new "to-do" pages up in the next few days to help guide people to where we need help the most, but if you see something feel free to go ahead and edit it. Just use good judgement, but don't be afraid to make mistakes. It is a wiki after all.

If anyone has any questions or needs help with the wiki, getting access, or if you spot any vandalism/spam, feel free to contact me. If it's vandalism/spam then contact me directly by e-mailing me (contact link on my forum profile), and that way it will beep my phone. You can also leave a message on my wiki talk page and that will do the same as e-mailing me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wiki contributions and vandalism0