What 's the smallest / cheapest device
jmb02 Wrote:So the ATV 2 only displaying in 720p.

I have a lot of HD content on a media server. Currently running XBMC for Windows on a dual core PC. however was looking at repurposing that PC for something else.

Whats the best performing smallest box that will display in true 1080p?

Sounds like a lot of people like the ATV2, but wondering about others.

Used apple tv 1 (silver) with Linux. The price + Broadcom crystal hd card is about $100. It will do 1080, internal hdd+ USB, networked (wireless maybe.i think some people got a USB wifi adapter to work on it. You have to remove the original wifi card to put the crystal hd card in.)

It's actually more powerful in most ways when compared to the ATV2 (black).
I was going down this same road for my living room which is the least watched TV in the house. It was a 32" 4:3 HDTV with component video input only capable of 480p/1080i (no 720p). Since it is not watched all that often and resides in a cabinet (so no benefit from a slim LCD) I had dismissed the idea of replacing the TV. Instead I cobbled together a P4 + 8400GS pc (from spare parts) running 1080i component video out to the TV with acceptable, if not stunning, results.

That said, the OSD had a bit of lag due to only 512mb or RAM and the TV only supported 16:9 1080i resolutions, even though it was a 4:3 display. The TV also had pretty poor geometry made even more evident by the horizontal and vertical lines in the XBMC interface.

The best balance between improved performance (both the TV and XBMC client) did end up being to replace the TV, but not with a pricey (given the application) LCD. I ended up getting a 30" 16:9 Sony CRT monitor with HDMI input for only $25 on CraigsList. This fir the existing cabinet perfectly, allowed me to add a refurbished AppleTV 2 for only $80, and provides much better image quality for all sources thanks to MUCH improved geometry, 16:9 AR, and generally being a higher end display than the one it replaced. Even higher end 34" XBR models were even more abundant and available for as little as $50, but were too wide for my cabinet.

If you're needing to add XBMC to an old CRT TV and can't justify the cost of an LCD, and older but higher-end 16:9 CRT can be the cheapest and easiest way to modernize. Just make sure you have a good friend ot help you carry it!
i have 2 acer revo 1600 nettops ($199)

they measure 7''x7''x1'' and come with vesa mounts to mount on the back of a monitor.
LOL yea I actually had one of those and I am pissed cause my HD crashed in it. I had a 200GB HD and was able to play all my games on it along side of XBMC. it was outstanding. I was hoping that they would one day be able to do that to the 360 but I dont think it will ever get there Sad

Anyway I like the old XBMC idea but if you have a lot of HD content it may jitter while watching those movies. I have a ACER 3700 and it works good. and it has a very nice keyboard and mouse with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6883103297

Thanks,
SoBBie
jmb02 Wrote:So the ATV 2 only displaying in 720p.

I have a lot of HD content on a media server. Currently running XBMC for Windows on a dual core PC. however was looking at repurposing that PC for something else.

Whats the best performing smallest box that will display in true 1080p?

Sounds like a lot of people like the ATV2, but wondering about others.

I use two first gen apple tv's with Crystalbuntu installed on it. I have a 6TB NAS where media gets stored and a bridge in each room where the ATV is.

I replaced the built-in wireless card on the ATV1 with a CrystalHD decoder card. This allows it to decode full 1080p content (like a 10mbit stream) without any problems despite being a fairly old device. It also displays the content at 1080p and can upconvert content effortlessly.

Total cost for each room was just shy of $200. This includes the ATV, HDMI cable, CrystalHD card, and wireless bridge (WET610N). If you have (or don't need) any of those components then it's that much cheaper.

It has a 48W PSU which means it probably uses significantly less power. It is also very small.

I went with the ATV because it was cheap for me (already had wireless bridge infrastructure). I love them.

The only downside I've seen so far is that it can be a little slow in the menus.

If the ATV2 output at 1080p it would be a no brainer, IMO, but it doesn't. I can't wait to see what the ATV3 can do...
AngryUndead Wrote:If the ATV2 output at 1080p it would be a no brainer, IMO, but it doesn't. I can't wait to see what the ATV3 can do...

What are your screen sizes and viewing distances? Check out the link in my signature... 1080p output may not be as important as you think.
Has anyone yet considered the Roku 2

The $99 higher end model (if the specs of the SOC are correct on the linked page below) is basically an ATV2 with a MicroSD slot, and a working USB 2.0 port for directly hooking in a HDD (though sans the optical audio out, it does do HDMI).

I think the box has a lot of potential if it could run XBMC directly.

Then again, there's also the Logitech Revue @ $99 now.

Anyway, the Roku 2 Teardown:

http://www.mycablealternatives.com/2011/...-teardown/
Huh. An ARM processor that does OpenGL ES 2.0? Well that's nifty.
Not the cheapest but certainly a contender. Brought one the other day can't wait for it to turn up. About time i had a second device.

http://www.ebuyer.com/267867-emachine-er...-004?hpb=2
You can also get an old ATV1 in the $50 - $75 range on Ebay. That runs XBMC just fine for SD content and it has Component Video (3 RCA's) as well as HDMI, analog stereo and optical audio. Also has N wifi built in (unless you switch it out to add Crystal HD card).

You can use the USB patchstick installer to easily jailbreak the ATV1 and install XBMC or use Sam Nazarko's ATV1 specific XBMC Live disk image.

For a quick hack to convert the ATV1 to out put Composite Video (1 RCA plug) on the green channel.
http://mrcolinsappletvguide.tumblr.com/#...e%20Output

My kid watches Thomas and old Sesame Streets and Mister Rogers on a very old 19" tube TV using xbmc when she's stuck at the store with mom sometimes. Honestly thats the smallest, cheapest most lofi XBMC setup and it works fine for all SD content. I can even watch streaming plug-ins like icefilms on it, if I wanted.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
seand Wrote:For a quick hack to convert the ATV1 to out put Composite Video (1 RCA plug) on the green channel.
http://mrcolinsappletvguide.tumblr.com/#...e%20Output

Will the composite hack work with the CrystalHD installed? I would like to have HD decoding along with SD composite output for my daughter's bedroom (an old 25" CRT/DVD/VCR combo). I would just use an ATV1 as-is if it weren't for the fact that the kids' media is about 50/50 mixed SD and HD (mostly capped at 720p, only a couple of 1080p files) and I don't really want to re-encode a special set of SD files just for her room.

The more I think about it though, re-encoding the 720p and 1080p kids movies to SD probably wouldn't be such a bad option for her room, especially if I could do them in a batch in Handbrake...
I'm not schooled enough in the whether the Crystal HD hardware acceleration will work for composite output. The ATV1 sans Crystal does OK with SD content generally and even works on some "BRrip" divx encodes but if you put high-bitrate h264 mkvs it chokes - basically it plays but video and audio drift progresively out of sync with eachother. So I'd consider reencoding the HD content or upgrading the TV.

Really if its content specific for kids, I think you could change your collection and ripping habits to target DVD quality content for them, HD content for the grownups and you will be fine.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
The ATV1 does get hot if you leave it running so put it on its side and put it in standby or shut it down when not in use. Otherwise Apple remote is a good choice for young viewers.
IsleOfMan Wrote:Will the composite hack work with the CrystalHD installed? I would like to have HD decoding along with SD composite output for my daughter's bedroom (an old 25" CRT/DVD/VCR combo). I would just use an ATV1 as-is if it weren't for the fact that the kids' media is about 50/50 mixed SD and HD (mostly capped at 720p, only a couple of 1080p files) and I don't really want to re-encode a special set of SD files just for her room.

The more I think about it though, re-encoding the 720p and 1080p kids movies to SD probably wouldn't be such a bad option for her room, especially if I could do them in a batch in Handbrake...

CrystalHD is a hw decoder, has nothing to do with video output.
Back to the topic of Cheapest and Smallest!
Products ordered from http://www.hoh.de in Germany

so €337 external 2Tb hard drive please note the computers drive is SSD niiice! or €200 or so euro if you dont need the 2tb drive or SSD add about 20 euro to get a remote and HDMI lead!

Zotac ZBOX HD-ND22 SU2300 Celeron 2x1, 20 GHz
184.90 EUR

Kingston SODIMM 2048MB PC3-1066 CL7
12.90 EUR

SSDNow V-Series 30GB SATA II G2
61.95 EUR

New Western Digital Elements Desktop 2000GB
77.90 EUR

Sum € 337.65

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What 's the smallest / cheapest device0