I don't even know where to begin
Honestly I don't. I have watched videos on changing the skins but I don't have any of the skin add ons. I go through the wiki tutorial and browse to set up up my videos but the aren't any file options that I can use. after install of xbmc what do I need to do to watch videos on this thing. All of my videos are on a clickfree external hard drive. How do I get xbmc to find them. There was also a run auto scan tutorial but I can find that option. Please help
Go into video and "add source". Point that to your video's dir. After that do a scan on that source..
After I click add source I get all of these file options that I am clueless about what file I click on to start the process of pointing it to the right file dir. The path is m:videos but I get a message that says It can't connect to it. Do I have to set up the network connection with xbmc before it can find the movies? Thanks for any help
HI and welcome

yes you do need to have SMB sources or uPnP or XBMC supported protocols running of a NAS or PC to actually add such sources from within XBMC, as for external hdd sources like you describe must be mounted and added as a source, this is basic very basic and the XBMC wiki exists for that such reason.

cheers
Thank you for the clarification. I could not find the directions in the wiki for it. I think that I may need to go to my ex hd and set it up for sharing. That may be part of it
simplify theis whole lot

imagine XBMC is a Widows media player you need to browse to where the music is and play it but with xbmc this works like that via file manager, in normal UI things get a little more designed to take your attention fro setting things up to the looking at pretty skins...

Like I said before xbmc has a filemanager that most people should learn how to use before anything else. Heck play with xbmc for a bit you'll get used to it, and look at automount and other stuff,

perhaps for best results as a novice yo should give openelec with xbmc as a fast to setup and minimum fuss to get almost everything working properly.
Pridetv Wrote:Thank you for the clarification. I could not find the directions in the wiki for it. I think that I may need to go to my ex hd and set it up for sharing. That may be part of it

If you cant find it then your not searching

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide
Videos
Add videos
Browse
Add network location
Protocol windows network smb (not sure if that is what I should be using)
Server name (I am using the ip address off of my pc by going to cmd, ipconfig and taking the . Once I tried the apple tv ip address and that didn't work either.
Shared folder is blank
Username is my computer name. On the paths for folders it is in all caps VANO-PC or VANO-PC. Which should I use? Is the syntax correct
Password is the password I use at the initial start up of my pc
This didn't work. I get the timed out error then the cant connect to the network error. What should I be doing to get xbmc to connect to my network. Thanks in advance.
mmm did you read the guide on the wiki link?
Pridetv Wrote:Videos
Add videos
Browse
Add network location
Protocol windows network smb (not sure if that is what I should be using)
Server name (I am using the ip address off of my pc by going to cmd, ipconfig and taking the . Once I tried the apple tv ip address and that didn't work either.
Shared folder is blank
Username is my computer name. On the paths for folders it is in all caps VANO-PC or VANO-PC. Which should I use? Is the syntax correct
Password is the password I use at the initial start up of my pc
This didn't work. I get the timed out error then the cant connect to the network error. What should I be doing to get xbmc to connect to my network. Thanks in advance.

if on windows and trying to reach an SMB, uninstall windows live, windows live essentials etc.
another food for thought link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?got...st&t=99826

as an aside you need a smb server (windows is CIFS please google it) with media in or uPnP server or NFS server (NFS server supported only by GIT XBMC builds A.K.A pre-EDEN)

you cant just add sources (unless if its from a local HDD or USB connected one) if you dont have servers that XBMC understand and they are quite a few.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I don't even know where to begin0