Subtitles addon is missing background
I noticed that Subtitles addon is missing background in latest nightly builds.

Is this change intentional?

Second thing is about using screen real estate - it seams to me that more space is used than in previous versions? If so, may I suggest leaving some header and footer space for other stuff?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:I noticed that Subtitles addon is missing background in latest nightly builds.

Is this change intentional?
heh...i'll take the blame for that one.
seems like i can add another one to my list of major screw-ups :-)

i indeed forgot to include the background texture as well as the close button textures.

pecinko Wrote:Second thing is about using screen real estate - it seams to me that more space is used than in previous versions? If so, may I suggest leaving some header and footer space for other stuff?

the idea was to give it a similar look and feel as the lyrics script in confluence.
because subs is to movies as what lyrics is to music, it makes sense to give them the same layout.
and since confluence is the default skin, i made sure the subtitles skin looks ok there.

as it's just plain impossible to make it fit every available skin out there,
your best option would be to include a customized version of the subtitles xml window in your skin (as many of us already do).
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:and since confluence is the default skin, i made sure the subtitles skin looks ok there.

as it's just plain impossible to make it fit every available skin out there,
your best option would be to include a customized version of the subtitles xml window in your skin (as many of us already do).

Thanks.

However, and I hope you wan't take this personally, I did not want you to make it to fit every possible skin. But you did make it fit one skin only.

Previous version did not fit every possible skin either, still it respected that upper and lower part of screen should be free.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

This brings me back to my opinion that there should be some sort of standard for addons where skins provide a basic set of textures in the defaults.xml for addon use.

ie

fullscreen background texture (in case the skin uses a diffuse)
dialog texture (for the panel)

and any others that you can think of.

At least this way they'll look more fitting.
pecinko Wrote:However, and I hope you wan't take this personally, I did not want you to make it to fit every possible skin. But you did make it fit one skin only.

hah, no offense taken and i'm open to suggestions ;-)

looking at the various implementations of the seekbar across skins,
i still doubt it's gonna be easy to come up with a solution that fits mosts/many skins.

some skins have a large seekbar at the top and others have it at the bottom.
besides this, there are also some skins that display a large moviecover thumb at the side.

all in all, this would leave very little screen estate for the script window in the center of the screen.
not saying it's impossible, but it's gonna be hard to squeeze all the info in.

one other problem is that several skins will display a (large) PAUSED label in the center of the screen, which will still overlap the script window...

one possible fix/workaround would be to simply hide your seekbar when the subtitle window is active:
Code:
<visible>!Window.IsVisible(script-XBMC-Subtitles-main.xml)]</visible>
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Or like you said actually skin the windows yourself its as easy as adding script-XBMC-Subtitles-main.xml to your xml dir and skinning it your way
Yeah but that's more for me. Wink
Jezz_X Wrote:Or like you said actually skin the windows yourself its as easy as adding script-XBMC-Subtitles-main.xml to your xml dir and skinning it your way

thanks to your explanation I now partially now what to do (I'm sure some skeletons will jump out of the closet if I start skinning it). That's the first part, though.

Second part is that skinner is not supposed to skin it, unless he finds it fun and is willing to do so:-) Not friendly to a newcomers, either.

All I wanted is shorter list - leave 100px above and 100px below and use 500px for the list. That's still 10 items even with 40px buttons - pretty much the same as it was.

Sure I can use visibility tag, and bring fullscreen black overlay so it would fit nicely, but that's not the point.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hitcher Wrote:This brings me back to my opinion that there should be some sort of standard for addons where skins provide a basic set of textures in the defaults.xml for addon use.

ie

fullscreen background texture (in case the skin uses a diffuse)
dialog texture (for the panel)

and any others that you can think of.

At least this way they'll look more fitting.

This makes sense to me.

* However, in the meantime, until this gets implemented, let's just play nicely. *
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

ronie Wrote:hah, no offense taken and i'm open to suggestions ;-)

Code:
<visible>!Window.IsVisible(script-XBMC-Subtitles-main.xml)]</visible>

Thanks for the info, I was wondering what would be right visibility condition to use.

Now to the funny part - the way you implemented it in Transparency SVN is what I'm talking about - just get it vertically centered.

Edit: while xbmc subtitles is runing in Transparency, if you hit ESC you take XBMC down. Not sure if it's script, script support or xbmc build related.

Code:
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4737015808   DEBUG: OnKey: escape (f01b) pressed, action is PreviousMenu
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4737015808   DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager::PreviousWindow: Deactivate
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4737015808   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (VideoFullScreen.xml) ------
21:21:39 T:2959888384 M:4737015808   DEBUG: scraper: GetSearchResults returned <results></results>
21:21:39 T:2959888384 M:4737015808   DEBUG: FindMovie: Searching for 'Sveti Georgije ubiva azdahu' using The MovieDB scraper (path: '/Users/pecinko/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/metadata.themoviedb.org', content: 'movies', version: '1.4.0')
21:21:39 T:2959888384 M:4737015808   DEBUG: scraper: CreateSearchUrl returned <url>http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.search/en/xml/57983e31fb435df4df77afb854740ea9/sveti%20georgije%20ubiva%20azdahu+2009</url>
21:21:39 T:2959888384 M:4737015808   DEBUG: FileCurl::Open(0xb06c4568) http://api.themoviedb.org/2.1/Movie.search/en/xml/57983e31fb435df4df77afb854740ea9/sveti%20georgije%20ubiva%20azdahu+2009
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738555904   DEBUG: CGUIWindowManager::PreviousWindow: Activate new
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738555904   DEBUG: ------ Window Init (Home.xml) ------
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738555904    INFO: Loading skin file: Home.xml
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738478080   DEBUG: Load Home.xml: 415.54ms
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738478080   DEBUG: Alloc resources: 415.99ms (415.69 ms skin load)
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4736864256   DEBUG: ------ Window Deinit (/Users/pecinko/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/skin.transparency.svn/720p/script-XBMC-Subtitles-main.xml) ------
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4736864256   ERROR: ClearBlock: Trying to clear non existent block /Users/pecinko/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/script.xbmc.subtitles
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738560000   DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnPlay from xbmc
21:21:39 T:2685568320 M:4738560000   DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 1, from xbmc, message OnPlay
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Hitcher Wrote:Yeah but that's more for me. Wink

compared to adding weather.com+ or pvr support it should be a breeze ;-)
pecinko Wrote:Now to the funny part - the way you implemented it in Transparency SVN is what I'm talking about - just get it vertically centered.

yup, i included a customized version of the subtitles script window in Transparency!,
just because i happen to be one of those skinners who "finds it fun and is willing to do so" ;-)
pecinko Wrote:Edit: while xbmc subtitles is runing in Transparency, if you hit ESC you take XBMC down.

you mean it crashes xbmc?
if so, pastebin a crashlog so the devs get a chance to have a look at it.
ronie Wrote:compared to adding weather.com+ or pvr support it should be a breeze ;-)

ronie Wrote:just because i happen to be one of those skinners who "finds it fun and is willing to do so" ;-)

Not feeling the love in this thread. Wink
@Hitcher: The first step I guess is to pull together some default texture names etc. that can be used by the script, and we can then incorporate some defaults from there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

ronie Wrote:yup, i included a customized version of the subtitles script window in Transparency!,
just because i happen to be one of those skinners who "finds it fun and is willing to do so" ;-)

OK, thanks. I must have said something wrong again, sorry.

I'll try to make it fun for myself (might use different colors for each line), hopefully it will work out somehow.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles addon is missing background0