MKV-files lag
Hello folks,

I'm running the latest version of XBMC on my ATV2. I've recently downloaded some series in mkv-format. Now XBMC won't play them properly but will lag hard only show appr. 1fps. I think this is a codec issue? Is there a way to make XBMC play mkv properly?

Cheers,
Piru
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

At the very least give us xbmc.log. If you want actual help also include media info.
Ned Scott Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

At the very least give us xbmc.log. If you want actual help also include media info.

Urgh.

I wasn't asking for a kidney transplant. Nevermind then.

I was just looking for an easy instruction on how to add codecs or whatever to xmbc or some mkv-optimized settings.
Piru Wrote:...
I was just looking for an easy instruction on how to add codecs or whatever to XBMC or some mkv-optimized settings.

Short answer: There exists none.

XBMC on ATV2 is VERY network dependant.. That is all from network speed, latency, etc. down to the way the media you're trying to play has been encoded.
It's a very complex process, so "lag in mkv" is not very descriptive. Sadly.

One mkv may play very well for you, while another may not. It's all down to what is inside the mkv really Smile

XBMC doesn't need to add codecs - it's all included.

The problem you're seeing is most likely one of two:
1) Network transfer speed (due to network, protocol or read speed on source, etc.)
2) Encoding of the mkv content.
But my Windows Laptop with Media Player Classic can play it perferctly, being in the same network...
Piru Wrote:But my Windows Laptop with Media Player Classic can play it perferctly, being in the same network...

With all due respect.. Your laptop is not an apple TV2. The Apple TV2 is not exactly designed to run XBMC. It's not designed to actually play most of the media you throw at it.

It's designed to receive media through itunes - either rental or not.

You can not compare your laptop to XBMC on Apple TV2.

[edit]
But to bring it back on topic a bit - since you have no problem on the laptop, the problem must be on the Apple TV2 box.
Please provide a full debug log so it's possible to debug on the problem Smile
Piru Wrote:Urgh.

I wasn't asking for a kidney transplant. Nevermind then.

I was just looking for an easy instruction on how to add codecs or whatever to XBMC or some mkv-optimized settings.

I just said at the very least give us xbmc.log

You don't have to do everything that posts suggests (but the more you do that it suggests the more likely we can help you). We have no idea what file you are trying to play. MKVs are not all created the same, not by a LONG shot. You say you think it might be a codec issue, well what codec were you using? "MKV" is not a codec, but a file container.

Not only that, but you say you are using the "latest" XBMC. That means nothing to us because latest can mean several things. You could be using the latest official build, the latest semi-nightly build, the latest PVR build, or you could have built your own build from git.

You post was about as informative as a "check engine" light in a car. We are not you and we cannot reach into your mind or your ATV2 magically and see what is going on. Posting the xbmc.log file is the next best thing.
as always, no xbmc.log... no soup. plain and simple.
Thanks for nothing, guys.

Close this one please, fixed the issue by myself.
thx for nothing too - because you didn't share your solution...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I've bookmarked this thread for 2 reasons:
1) A perfect example of how not to ask for help.
2) The absolute hilarity of the situation. I mean.. A user buys a piece of hardware designed to do one thing , and one thing only: Talk to iTunes. The user decides to hack the hardware to allow for custom code, and he then proceeds to install what can best be described as BETA software. The user runs in to a problem, and instead of working with the (non-profit!) community behind the software, he feels entitled to having his problem with his free software fixed immediately.
jlor Wrote:I've bookmarked this thread for 2 reasons:
1) A perfect example of how not to ask for help.
2) The absolute hilarity of the situation. I mean.. A user buys a piece of hardware designed to do one thing , and one thing only: Talk to iTunes. The user decides to hack the hardware to allow for custom code, and he then proceeds to install what can best be described as BETA software. The user runs in to a problem, and instead of working with the (non-profit!) community behind the software, he feels entitled to having his problem with his free software fixed immediately.

I'm honestly surprised that he was able to jailbreak it and install XBMC if he thinks posting his xbmc.log file is too much trouble.
I have the same problem, but it only shows up with web-dl content, i would love to post all the info you need just let me know how to.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV-files lag0