HTPC Build - Review before purchase
Hi,

I've decided to buy a dedicated HTPC, and had first settled on an ASRock Vision 3D, but I think it is a bit more expensive that I'd like.

I've been reading up on hardware for the last two weeks and come to the following hardware:

CPU: Core i3 2100
Case: Antec VERIS Fusion Remote
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA380D Green
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 2 GB
SSD: Intel 320 Series 40 GB
BR: LiteOn iHOS104
MB: Intel Desktop Board DH67GD

It will be used for:
- 1080p playback (should do this without dropping)
- 3D Bluray
- 3D SBS steaming later on (I will buy a GT430 for whatever is the best choice at that time)
- Possibly as a DVR as well (I will upgrade with a TV tuner)

1. Any comments on the above list?
2. Any case recommendations, as I've read that the VFD/LCD on the Antec fusion is rubbish?
3. If I do decide on the Antec Fusion Remote, can I replace the VFD/LCD if it annoys me?
4. Is sound ok through HDMI on the integrated graphics?

It should be noted that I really don't care about the display, but if it is there, it should also work.
The motherboard was chosen for the CIR header. (In case the Antec IR receiver is not good enough)
I will use a Harmony 1100 as the remote.
It's very fine choice, and it should be able to playback any BD file and HD streaming with ease!
well, why an i3?
im not saying its bad, im only asking why!?
the use of the onboard i3 video is troublesome...
it has 24fps issues which causes stuttering and also,
i3 doesnt play nice with XBMC either....
Macro-blocking issues....
more infos here --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=98037

you can easily get away with a CELERON E3400, PENTIUM 5700 or ATHLON X2 250!!
then add a separate GPU card...
either a HD5450, GT210, GT430 or GT520,,,,
choice here depends on if you'll need to decode the audio
using a audio/video receiver....
when can get into that later...

i own one of those LCD screen that came with my Antec MicroFusion case...
yes, i have to say they are rubbish and i pretty much never look at it...
totally useless to me and doesnt work out of the box with XBMC,,,
you need a 3rd party app called XBMC-on-IMON made by a user here
and i believe its only for windows...
Next HTPC for me = No LCD screen for sure!!

if you wanna use the harmony remote, under windows,
any USB IR receiver will do,,,
note that many like the FliRC.TV IR receiver...
I think I chose the i3 primarily because I already have an i7-2600K in my gaming PC and really like everything about it.

I read the thread you posted earlier when looking at setups, and got to the conclusion that i3 will work fine if I use an external player until XBMC fixes the issues regarding singlethreaded in software and macroblocking.

I don't know if XBMC works any worse with an external player. I might also just use media portal until I can get XBMC working.

As for the 24p issue, I read somewhere that it was only a problem if you were a complete videophile. I figured that if I can't live with it, I can add a discrete video card.

I guess I wanted to be sure that I was able to upgrade easily with SandyBridge and that I wasn't running out of power. I want this machine to easily be able to handle whatever I can throw at it.
eskro Wrote:the use of the onboard i3 video is troublesome...
The i3 onboard card should playback 1080P BD file with DTS-HD/TrueHD fine, and he is planning for the GT430 too. He should be fine!
eskro: Is the display a standard 5.25" bay insert? I mean.. can it be replaced easily by any other 5.25" bay device?
not im my ANTEC case....
You have put together a fine system here. You could go with it as is and be happy. You wisely asked for some feedback. Wise because I can tell you whatever you purchase, this will take some work getting it configured correctly. (I'm still stuck on stupid with my remotes!) Part of the recommendations you get will be based partly on ease of setup!

CPU: Core i3 2100
I had similar thoughts as eskro pointed out. I looked at this for my system and ultimately decided I could just get the Pentium G620 (it is socket 1155) and the GT520 video card for the same money as the i3.
- I am not knowledgeable about the 24/macro-blocking issue and now I do not have to be. I could be misinformed on this but I did read that it is unlikely to be resolved with "SandyBridge" anyhow. Buying a Core-i and a SB MB in hopes of a fix didn't seem like a good idea to me.

Case: Antec VERIS Fusion Remote
Until I get my remote situation figured out I should not comment. Just do a lot of reading before deciding.
I will use a Harmony 1100 as the remote.
Just make sure the IR receiver is compatible - read read read LOL

SSD: Intel 320 Series 40 GB
I put one of these 320's in my desktop - ITS NICE Big Grin

BR: LiteOn iHOS104
Unless things have changed... LiteOn's are the cheapest for a reason. I replaced the last one I bought (second time my dumb ass bought one trying to save money) because I couldn't stand how loud (and slow) they are!
I think Sony is essentially the same drive. Do yourself a favor and get a Samsung drive. The last two I bought were silent and noticeably faster.

MB: Intel Desktop Board DH67GD

- Possibly as a DVR as well (I will upgrade with a TV tuner)
I bought a cheap Hauppage that came with a remote. It tunes in the OTA channels great. Comes with its own software that works very well.

2. Any case recommendations
See the link in my signature for the case I used, I think I might be done with tower cases! Pleasure to assemble and Three ultra quiet 120mm fans.

4. Is sound ok through HDMI on the integrated graphics?
Yes! and that is the whole point of HDMI architecture (single cable for all)
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Thank you everyone for the input, unfortunately, you've given me a lot to think about (I've been researching this PC for two weeks now) ;-)

I'm still leaning slightly towards the i3, I think.

As far as I understand the i3 macroblocking issue, it is a problem with XBMC - other players don't have this problem. I may be mistaken though. This, and the single core in software issue is something I would hope the XBMC team would fix.

If not, I still have two options: Upgrade to a Nvidia card or switch software. Since I am doing the first one anyway when I want 3D playback, maybe the macroblocking isn't that big an issue for me, and I definitely don't want the machine to be underpowered. (Not that a HTPC with a G620 would be underpowered)

I'll "upgrade" the Bluray drive to a Samsung SH-B123L - it's basically the same price.

Once again, thanks for the input.. I'll research the 24p / macroblocking issue some more before I buy. I am right, however in concluding that with a NVIDIA card, all issues are resolved, right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Build - Review before purchase0