Wake on Lan, possible?
Hello all!

I am waiting for my hardware to get here so I can finally build my XBMC appliance. While I am waiting I wanted to make sure I am ready to go. I would like to be use the WOL function if possible. I am planning to use XBMClive or openELEC. Can I use this wiki? Will this allow me to start my machine using the Android app? I am planning to keep the machine in a nearby closet so not having to go push the "power" button is very important!

This is the MOBO I purchased. GA-MA78LMT-S2

Also, I already own a Harmony One. Does this give me other options? I would like to make this functional also. What is my best bet, flicr?

Thanks everyone!
Andro Wrote:I would like to be use the WOL function if possible.
Since the motherboard supports WOL, there's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't work out of the box. I use Windows 7 on my server and XBMC (OpenElec dist.) on my Zotac ND22 client, and WOL works flawless with my Android XBMC remote.
The Wiki might come in handy if, as it says, the OS you install cut the Ethernet power completely upon shutdown (OpenElec doesn't btw.).
Quote:Also, I already own a Harmony One. Does this give me other options? I would like to make this functional also.
This is indeed tricky. Since the remote is IR there's no way to trigger WOL. I'm actually in the same boat. Problem is my phone eats through the battery fast with WiFi on and it takes 10-20 seconds to get online if I shut it off. So I need a regular remote. I hoping if I configure the BIOS to wake from S3 (sleep) on USB activity, that the IR receiver will be able to wake up the client. This would mean I should put the client in sleep mode instead of shutting it down, but it's only a difference of about 1-2 Watts.
Quote:What is my best bet, flicr?
flirc seems to solve the problem of incompatible IR receivers/remotes, fiddling with IR codes, keymaps etc. Certainly nice, but it's still a USB device so essentially you'll have the same problem waking up the client as when using regular IR.
Innocence Wrote:This is indeed tricky. Since the remote is IR there's no way to trigger WOL. I'm actually in the same boat. Problem is my phone eats through the battery fast with WiFi on and it takes 10-20 seconds to get online if I shut it off. So I need a regular remote. I hoping if I configure the BIOS to wake from S3 (sleep) on USB activity, that the IR receiver will be able to wake up the client. This would mean I should put the client in sleep mode instead of shutting it down, but it's only a difference of about 1-2 Watts.
I was wondering about this myself... With the newer hardware throttling the power down when idle. Having difficulty waking the computer from sleep I wondered if I shouldn't just leave it on all the time. My 3-4yr old desktop runs 24/7 and it certainly uses more power than my new HTTP.

Innocence Wrote:flirc seems to solve the problem of incompatible IR receivers/remotes, fiddling with IR codes, keymaps etc. Certainly nice, but it's still a USB device so essentially you'll have the same problem waking up the client as when using regular IR.
Do you use Flirc and this has been your experience ?
How does Flirc work with Harmony remotes?
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
I'm using an 80w picopsu. Standby at 0.1 watts and idles at 12watts in windows 7

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake on Lan, possible?0