had HDMI audio working, updated X, now it's broken
Like the title says, I had this whole thing working perfectly, just the way I liked it. Then I made the HUGE mistake of running apt-get upgrade on my Ubuntu Natty Zotac ION system and letting it install some updates to X last night. After it was done, I powered it down.

Like I said - HUGE mistake. I powered it up this morning, and the resolution was borked, and the audio no longer worked. At least over HDMI; the headphone jack still worked.

I got the resolution fixed (although for some reason X was no longer getting the EDID info from the TV; I know it was before because I checked the previous X logs) by hard-setting the config in xorg.conf. But the HDMI audio problem is still eluding me. All the audio settings in both XBMC and Gnome/Unity/whatever are the same as before, but nothing works. I'm positive it's some obscure change I made to a configuration file that X probably hosed, but I'm lost as to what it could be.

I can say this definitively: All the SPDIFs in alsamixer are unmuted. I never had a .asoundrc file. I'm not sure if the snd-hda-intel kernel mod is being loaded (and am not sure how to check). I did not make a whole lot of changes to a bunch of files - maybe a single line added in the pulse default.pa and/or an alsa file somewhere. And I'm pretty sure I never had to put a "hw:x,y" or "plughw:x,y" or "hdmi:x,y" in any file.

I know that I'm 99% there; it's just GOT to be a minor change to a file or two, but I'm lost as to what it could be.

Help! I know the HDMI audio topics have been covered back and forth, left and right, up and down. But if I can't get this working, I may have to go back to *shudder* a Windows-based install.

Coog
Here's the offending X updates, if it helps (pulled from my apt history):

xserver-xorg-video-ati:amd64
xserver-xorg-video-radeon:amd64

I knew there was something fishy when I saw them in the upgrade list; there's no ATI hardware in my system. I should've just left well enough alone.

Coog
Anything? I switched over to XBMC Live and still can't get the audio to work.
I apologize, guys. The culprit appears to be a TV with 4 borked HDMI ports, possibly due to a recent storm. Unfortunately, I've already wiped the PC and started rebuilding it from scratch.

Coog

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
had HDMI audio working, updated X, now it's broken0