Looking to buy a second XBMC machine
On my main TV I am currently running XBMC with an Acer Revo 1600 (upgraded 2 gigs ram) with a 2TB external HDD. It works amazingly well and I am in love with it.

What I'd like to do is move that one up the main bedroom and buy a new computer for the main TV. The thought was that I would buy something powerful enough to be able to handle some serious gaming as well, not sure what yet... but that won't be for at least a month so I have plenty of time to decide Laugh

But here are the issues. Because of the house layout, build and how the internet is installed, it's impracticable (WAY too much work) to have any wired internet connections downstairs. The upstairs would be wired.

So, is it possible to have the main TV/PC downstairs loaded with all my movies/TV and stream them upstairs wirelessly? How would you all suggest that I do this? Any tips/hints/advice would be great. Even a point to a forum post that lays this all out. I attempted to do a search but couldn't find much to help Sad
well if you dont want the gaming then your best bet would be to get an atv2 which is very cheap $100.00 and can stream HD movies (720) with no problem. this is probably your cheapest option.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Well I'm not too worried about price or anything like that, I'm mostly worried about the streaming from room to room and how exactly to set that up.
Ofc you can, get a good wireless router + USB wireless dongle or PCI wireless card or a mobo with an integrated wireless adapter, for the second HTPC and you can stream movies from the main HTPC to the secondary one
Streaming video wirelessly is always hit or miss, especially with HD. I would look into those ethernet AC adaptors - the ones you plug into a wall socket for downstairs. Upstairs you can have your router/switch with everything else connected to it - assuming you have your internet modem there as well.
@pcdude, great idea. I never thought about getting the Plugin Power/Ethernet adapter. That would work perfectly, and I was looking at prices and most seem to be around $60. For the trouble saved of not having to rewire my house, that is totally worth it.

Thanks!
streaming via wifi in one core may be a bit taxing however I have been asked a few dozen times for new machines and to do some work for them.

If I could afford anything I would buy the asrock 3D vision 146B or whatever as long as it doesn't have bluray drive... (something about boycoting bluray DRM and stupid restrictions) However thers many models and the remote comes included, which drivers are now included in new Linux kernels.

Anyway its got very decent choice of CPUs and a very good GPU

Other than that Im sure each person may have different opinions.
ProfessorChimpo Wrote:Well I'm not too worried about price or anything like that, I'm mostly worried about the streaming from room to room and how exactly to set that up.

since you are in love with the revo, there are no more revo 1600 but newegg has the acer revo 3700 for $100 more ($299).

i have two revos... one upstairs connected via ethernet and the one downstairs is connected via wifi. i use sshfs (plus ssh keys) to mount the drive upstairs so i can navigate the upstairs as if it is a local directory downstirs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to buy a second XBMC machine0