Play url !
would it be possible, in my music, to have a option "play url" and from that the ability to enter the url or even a filename of a text/.strm file containing the url to play, via either a usb keyboard or controller as in the search option. and then as its obvious that you will be playing an audio stream, so it automatically sets a small buffer size.

that would save having to create a .strm file and then having to wait 5 minutes or so for a unnessesaraly large buffer to fill before its played.
just got hold of the latest cvs build (2005.03.10) and it mentions being able to play a url as a "added" feature but i cant see it anywhere. anyone know what it means. below is an except from the changelog:

Quote:added/fixed: (dd-mm-yyyy) (please specify date in cet)
- 10-03-2005 added: direct url support for built-in command xbmc.playmedia(url)
- 10-03-2005 fixed: selecting video_ts.ifo on a dvd would not initiate playback properly.
- 10-03-2005 fixed: any dll's atempting to use stat on a dvd would always return success with invalid properties set
- 10-03-2005 added: dynamic range compensation for ac3 if no ac3/dts receiver is available.
it means you can make a button that can start playing a url using that command as the execute tag:

<execute>xbmc.playmedia(http://204.9.117.196:8110)</execute>
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
so would this command make a button to play a url of a .asx audio stream such as http://audio.musicradio.com/gold.asx?

because at present i still have to use a laptop & windows to play this url because to play this audio stream with xbmc is a pain cos i have to extract the .asx file to a .strm file and then wait for 5 minutes while it buffers before playing.?
you have three options to play that stream:
1. put the url in a .strm file (don't now what you mean by extracting the asx file but you just need to paste that url in a .strm file)
2. make a button play the url like kraqh3d said.
3. map a remotecontrol or controller key in keymap.xml to play the url.
<action>
<description>play stream if 4 is pressed on the remote</description>
<id>xbmc.playmedia(http://audio.musicradio.com/gold.asx?)</id>
<remote>4</remote>
</action>

to make it buffer less lower the "unknown type cache" in settings (0 works fine for me)
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
thanks for the helpfull sugestions..
the trouble with using a .strm file & reducing the size of the "unknown" type cache in the settings is not really practical because the "unknown type" cache is also used when playing video streams & you need a reasonable size buffer for that & it would mean having to keep changing the buffer settings depending on whether you want to play audio or video.
if there was a button in "my music" for play url then its obvious that you will be playing music/audio and only a very small cache would be needed & the size of that cache could then be set in settings under a new dedicated parameter like "audio cache" & not set by the "unknown" parameter which could mean anything of any size.
adding this as an option on the xbmc web pages might be nice, too -- go to a page where you have a text box that you could enter a url, and have xbmc download the file or open the stream as appropriate.

i only mention this because it's not trivial entering a full url with the xbmc on-screen keyboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Play url !0