help with fresh start...
I messed up my ATV2 and I'm trying to do a firmware restore but when I open up iTunes and hold down shift + click to restore the firmware I keep getting a unknown error (3194)
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694#error3194

I'm basically stuck now since I can't restore both the "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore" and "AppleTV2,1_4.3_8F202_Restore" firmwares. And when I plug in my ATV2 to my TV it just has a iTunes icon with a usb plug.

I tried using this method and it still doesn't work.
http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-itunes-err...-firmware/

Can someone please help me. I'm pretty much stuck now and have no other ideas.

I'm using iTunes 10.3.155 to do this.
check /etc/hosts for a block that tiny umbrella sticks in.
Run iREB first?
trying iREB right now.

This is what was in my host file

Quote:127.0.0.1 localhost

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

edit: iREB didn't work also. I failed to enter into DFU mode. I also tried three different USB ports with no luck.
Keep trying, iREB allows your modified ipsm file to pass the apple verification. If you are getting errors on restore, it is usually that.
Ok I got it to restore with iTunes without clicking shift this time and pointing it to a ipsm file this time and it restore my ATV2.
Using Seas0npass to JB it right now. Hopefully everything goes well. Thanks for the help. If it doesn't work I'll try iREB again.

I wanted to use 4.2.1_8C154_Restore because I heard it was more stable but I guess I'll have to settle with the new one.

edit: I keep getting to this screen and getting stuck here. It seems like it's failing to get into DFU mode.
Try a different micro usb cable as some don't work properly. Also getting rid of the gs.apple.com lines worked for me.
Matryx Wrote:edit: I keep getting to this screen and getting stuck here. It seems like it's failing to get into DFU mode.

Are you plugging in the power cable too? Try it with just the USB cable if so. Plug it in, give it a few seconds to get booted up, then hold down the menu and play buttons of the remote while pointing it at the front of the apple tv2 for a count of 7 and let go of both buttons.
Maybe in a bit here I'll video myself pressing the buttons for DFU mode and put it on youtube. It's really hard to explain, and the first few times I did it myself (an experienced jailbreaker at this point with other iOS devices) it was a bitch to get right. Took me forever. It might help to actually see someone else do it and see the timing.

Granted, sometimes people are just able to hit it just right and think nothing of it. Like now I can do it easily, but I wanted to pull my hair out those first few times.
I really think something is wrong with my ATV2. I've jailbroken it a few times but I messed up with XBMC and wanted to do a fresh install. There are already videos on youtube on how to do this so there's no need Ned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8MQWyVVQNo

Not sure why mine is not going into DFU mode. I did not plug the power in but after 10 or tries I tried using the greenp0ison method where you plug the power in also and it still doesn't work.

It's getting very frustrating because I've done this before and for some reason it isn't working anymore. I'm going to try this on a different PC tonight and see how it goes.
he still doesn't really show it. Maybe it's in my head, but there's a timing to it. Also, I always had luck rebooting (menu+down) and as soon as it starts flashing hitting menu+play.

If you've jailbroken it before then your AppleTV is fine. You really can't brick/break these guys via software.
Make sure the software you are using is compatible with the firmware you now have. I know GreenPois0n didn't work for me on the newest version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help with fresh start...0